Maximum torque and potential energy of a current loop in a magnetic field

  • Thread starter Thread starter tag16
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Torque Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
tag16
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A wire is formed into a circle having a diameter of 10.0 cm and placed in a uniform magnetic field of 3.00 mT. The wire carries a current of 5.00 A. Find (a) the maximum torque on the wire (b) the range of potential energies of the wire field system for different orientations of the circle.


Homework Equations



T= mu x B

The Attempt at a Solution



For part a I did: T= mu x B= IA x B= I((2pi)(.5m)^2) x B
= (5.00A)((2pi)(.5m)^2) x (3.00mT)

is this right? if not what do I need to do?

For part b: I have no idea and any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org