What is the maximum torque on a square shaped wire with given parameters?

In summary, the maximum torque on a square shaped wire can be found by using the equation ##\tau=il^2 B sin(\omega t)##, where i is the maximum current, l is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and ##\omega## is the angular velocity. The maximum torque is found to be 2.6x10^-5 Nm, but this solution may depend on the initial alignment of the area vector with the magnetic field. Another possible equation for torque is given by ##\tau=(BAN)^2\omega/R##, where N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the area of the coil, and R is the resistance.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

Find the maximum torque on a square shaped wire provided N=120; l=4cm;R=10##\Omega##; B=0.2 T ; ##\omega=200 revs/sec##

Homework Equations

##\tau=IaBsin(\theta)##
##\epsilon=\frac{d}{dt}\Phi##

The Attempt at a Solution

##i=\frac{\epsilon}{R}=-\frac{\frac{d}{dt} (BAcos\omega t)}{R}##
##i_{max}=\frac{NBA\omega}{R}##
##\tau=il^2 B sin(\omega t)##
##\tau_{max}=il^2B = 2.6x10^-5 Nm##

This solution depends on the fact that my area vector is initially parallel to the magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't it be since
the torque on the coil is τ = BANi and i = BANω/R we have that
∴ τ = (BAN)2ω/R
= 29,5x10-3 Nm
?

I don't see why the term ##\omega/R## is in there (the equation for current). Could you please explain? thanks

davidbenari said:
##i=\frac{\epsilon}{R}=-\frac{\frac{d}{dt} (BAcos\omega t)}{R}##
##i_{max}=\frac{NBA\omega}{R}##
##\tau=il^2 B sin(\omega t)##
##\tau_{max}=il^2B = 2.6x10^-5 Nm##
This is not valid. It is not the case that ##\tau(t)=i_{max}l^2 B sin(\omega t)##. You cannot take the max value until you have the general equation for ##\tau(t)##.

But you also have it ? ... i = emf/R = NBAω {sin(θ)} /R
That is the emf is the time derivative of the magnetic flux is NBAω sin(θ)
I think what haruspex is saying is that there is another time varying term
for the torque. So you have a sin(θ)cos(θ) term in the general equation for the torque?

Last edited:

What is maximum torque on a wire?

The maximum torque on a wire is the maximum amount of rotational force that can be applied to a wire before it breaks. This can occur when the wire is twisted, bent, or stretched beyond its maximum capacity.

Why is it important to know the maximum torque on a wire?

Knowing the maximum torque on a wire is important because it helps determine the wire's strength and durability. This information is crucial in applications where wires are used to transmit power or support heavy loads, as exceeding the maximum torque can result in failure and potential hazards.

How is maximum torque on a wire calculated?

The maximum torque on a wire can be calculated using the wire's diameter, length, and material properties such as tensile strength and elastic modulus. There are also standardized tables and equations available for different types of wires and materials.

Can the maximum torque on a wire be increased?

Yes, the maximum torque on a wire can be increased by using a thicker or stronger wire, or by using multiple wires in parallel. However, it is important to consider the overall design and application requirements when making changes to the wire's dimensions.

What factors can affect the maximum torque on a wire?

The maximum torque on a wire can be affected by various factors such as temperature, corrosion, and fatigue. These factors can weaken the wire and reduce its maximum torque capacity over time, so it is important to consider them when designing and using wires in different environments.