Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest

In summary, the problem involves Superman pulling a large block of mass M with force F to regain his strength. On the large block rests a smaller block of mass m, which is tied to a wall by a light and strong cable at an angle ∅. The maximum value of F before something slips is being asked. Equations that can be used include F=ma, Ff=Fnxμ, and Fnet=F1+F2+F3. FBDs for both masses should be drawn, taking into account the horizontal and vertical forces.
Uns7able

Homework Statement

Superman is regaining his strength by pulling with a force F on a large block of mass M resting on a frictionless floor as shown. A small block of mass m rests on the upper surface of the large block, and there is friction at that surface, with static coefficient μ. Lois Lane has tied the small block to the wall with a light strong cable sloping up at an angle ∅. Everything is shown on the sketch, and things that look horizontal are. What is the maximum value of F before something slips? (Answers in Newtons)

∅- 60°
m=250kg
M=450kg
μ=0.5

Possible answers;

a) 1230

b) 1094

c) 946

d) 829

e) 656

*Check attachment for a picture.

Homework Equations

F=ma, Ff=Fnxμ,Fnet=F1+F2+F3

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the FBDs for both masses, but I do feel i did something wrong.

for mass m, I had Tcos60° upwards, Tsin60° to the right, Ff to the left, and Fg facing down.

for mass M, I had Fg facing down, Fn facing up, and Fnm [Normal force of mass m] also facing down.

That's as far as I got.

*The picture is upside down, sorry!

Attachments

• 20130109_013627.jpg
    20130109_013627.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the cos and sin swapped.
You've left out the horizontal forces on mass M.
Please write out the static force equations for the two directions one each mass. You know what Fg is for each mass, so don't write it in that form (especially as having two forces with the same name is confusing).

1. What is the "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest"?

The "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest" is a programming competition organized by the University of Waterloo's School of Computer Science. It challenges participants to solve a given problem using their programming skills and algorithms to maximize the value of a function.

2. Who can participate in the "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest"?

The contest is open to anyone with programming skills and a passion for problem-solving. It is primarily targeted towards university and high school students, but anyone with a strong background in computer science can participate.

3. How is the winner of the "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest" determined?

The winner of the contest is determined based on the highest value of the given function achieved by a participant's program. The program must also meet the specified time and memory constraints to be considered for the winning position.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest"?

Participating in the contest is a great opportunity for individuals to showcase their programming skills and problem-solving abilities. It also allows participants to learn from others and improve their skills. Additionally, the top participants may receive prizes and recognition from the University of Waterloo.

5. How can I prepare for the "Maximum value of F - SIN Waterloo Contest"?

To prepare for the contest, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of algorithms and data structures. Practicing coding challenges and participating in other programming competitions can also help improve your skills. Familiarizing yourself with the contest rules and past problems can also give you an idea of what to expect.