1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Static friction and maximum/minimum force

1. Jan 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block of mass m is at rest on an inclined plane of angle θ with respect to the horizontal. There is friction between the block and the inclined surface (μk and μs).

Now, assume that the value of θ is less than the value in part A) (so that the block will remain stationary if no other forces act on it). What is the maximum magnitude of a horizontal Force F that(with respect to ground) can be applied without causing the block to move up the incline?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found a similar thread here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/block-wedge-problem.698343/#post-4424430
    and here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-friction-min-and-max-forces-involved.619902/

I understand everything except one significant detail. I have to choose between several options:
    mg(sinθ−μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ)

or mg(sinθ+μ*cosθ)/(cosθ+μ*sinθ)

Friction is static. I don't understand the numerator. Why is there -/+μ*sinθ or -/+μ*cosθ?? Could you give me a hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2015 #2
    Why don't you draw a Free Body Diagram of the block on the incline

4. Jan 25, 2015 #3
    Oh, you are right. I did it. I understand it now. Silly me.
    Many thanks. :)
    Block and wedge.png

5. Jan 25, 2015 #4
    You did it yourself mate! Cheers!

6. Jan 25, 2015 #5
    Could you please explain that Fcos(theta) bit?

7. Jan 25, 2015 #6
    Nevermind, I've understood it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted