What is the maximum force of static friction for the block?

In summary: Since the hanging mass is not moving, the net force on it must be 0. This means that the force due to gravity (weight) must be balanced by the tension force in the string. This is why Fg=18.1N in this situation.
oMovements

Homework Statement

A string is tied to a 4.4 kg block and 120g hanging bucket. Students add 20g washers one at a time to the bucket. The student are unaware that the coefficient of static friction for the block on the table is 0.42.
A) what is the maximum force of static friction for the block?
B) how many washers can the students add to the bucket without moving the block?

2. The attempt at a solution
a)FssFn
= (0.42)(4.4x9.8)
Fs= 18.1N

b) Ft-Fs=ma
Ft-18.1=4.4a
Ft=4.4a+18.1
Ft=1.6N

Ft-Fg=m(-a)
4.4a+18.1=1.176=0.12a
4.52a=16.924
a=3.74m/s/s

I don't know what the next step after this would be. Right now I know that the hanging mass has a tension of 1.6N so another 16.5N can be added to the tension force to reach the maximum static force.

I also tried this:
Fg=mg
16.5=(0.12+0.02x)(9.8)
16.5=1.176+0.196x
15.324=0.196x
x=78 washers

The correct answer is 86 washers, but I don't know how to get to this answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oMovements said:
Fg=mg
16.5=(0.12+0.02x)(9.8)
Should be 18.1=(0.12+0.02x)(9.8)

The friction is overcome by the (bucket + washers). The string just conveys the force, the frictionless pulley changes the direction of the force. Acceleration is 0 until the friction is overcome.

The correct answer is 86 washers, but I don't know how to get to this answer.
You should be able to do it now. :smile:

oMovements said:
b) Ft-Fs=ma
Ft-18.1=4.4a
Ft=4.4a+18.1
Ft=1.6N

The thing that confuses me about your solution is this bit in red here. How did you come up with this number of 1.6 N? It seems like you assumed a value for 'a' (that was wrong).

The solution is much simpler than you are making it. You are correct that the only two horizontal forces acting on the block are static friction, and the force due to the tension in the rope. If the tension force is *just about* to overcome static friction, what must be true about the value of Ft as compared to Fs, and what is the value of 'a' in that case? (EDIT: NascentOxygen already gave you the answer to that last question about 'a'). The answer to these questions tells you all you need to know.

I still do not understand why Fg=18.1. I know that the hanging mass must have a maximum net force of 18.1N without the block moving. However, shouldn't Ft-Fg=18.1 because those are the two forces acting on the hanging mass. Or is Fg=18.1 because the acceleration is zero, therefore so is the net force and as a result Ft= -Fg and they both cancel each other out which doesn't cause the object to move. Is that correct?

oMovements said:
Or is Fg=18.1 because the acceleration is zero, therefore so is the net force and as a result Ft= -Fg and they both cancel each other out which doesn't cause the object to move. Is that correct?

Yes.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and not moving relative to each other.

2. How is the maximum force of static friction determined?

The maximum force of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction, which is a constant value unique to each pair of surfaces in contact. The maximum force of static friction is equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the normal force acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the maximum force of static friction?

The maximum force of static friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the normal force acting on the object, and any external forces acting on the object. It is also dependent on the coefficient of static friction, which can vary depending on the materials in contact and the surface conditions.

4. Is the maximum force of static friction always greater than the force applied?

No, the maximum force of static friction is only as great as the force applied up to a certain point. Once the applied force exceeds the maximum force of static friction, the object will start to move.

5. How can the maximum force of static friction be increased?

The maximum force of static friction can be increased by increasing the coefficient of static friction, increasing the normal force, or by improving the surface conditions of the objects in contact. For example, adding more texture or roughness to the surfaces can increase the coefficient of static friction and thus increase the maximum force of static friction.