Maxwell-Boltzman Distribution for Ideal Gases (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the question is about the minimum volume required for an ideal gas to have a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, specifically at 1 atm and 273.15 K. The person posting the question is struggling to figure it out and is looking for guidance rather than the answer. They also mention that they need to understand this concept for an upcoming test.
eliassiguenza
I just have a question of this subject, it is a pretty straight forward concept, however there are things that i just can;t figure out, like in any given gas which is the minimum volume required to have a maxwell boltzman distribution, @ 1 atm 273.15 K ? I honestly just can't figure it out... can someone please help me ? i don't know where to even start, please don't give me the answer i just want to accquire the rationale!

=) thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
eliassiguenza said:
I just have a question of this subject, it is a pretty straight forward concept, however there are things that i just can;t figure out, like in any given gas which is the minimum volume required to have a maxwell boltzman distribution, @ 1 atm 273.15 K ? I honestly just can't figure it out... can someone please help me ? i don't know where to even start, please don't give me the answer i just want to accquire the rationale!
Why do you think there is a minimum volume to have a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution? Would it not depend on the number of molecules per unit volume rather than just volume? Do you think there would be a clear limit (eg. no. of molecules per unit volume) below which no MB distribution is possible but above which there is?

AM

yeah sorry i postulated wrong, here it is what i meant, 10^6 molecules are needed to establish a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, what is the minimum volume for the ideal gas law to hold @ 1atm and 0 C.

The thing is that i didn't want to post the problem I really need to think it by myself i just wanted a bit of guidance, I have a test on this next wed, so i really want to learn it!

so yeah that's what i meant.. I still have no clue.. :s

thank you! =)

1. What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution for Ideal Gases?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution for Ideal Gases is a mathematical model that describes the distribution of speeds of gas particles at a given temperature. It shows the average number of particles that have a particular speed in a given gas sample.

2. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution derived?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is derived from the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant motion and their speed is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. It is also derived using statistical mechanics principles and the Boltzmann factor.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is significant because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of gas particles at a molecular level. It also helps us to understand the relationship between temperature and the average kinetic energy of gas particles.

4. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution curve?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution curve is affected by the temperature and the mass of gas particles. At higher temperatures, the curve shifts to the right and becomes wider, indicating a greater number of particles with higher speeds. The curve also becomes narrower for lighter gas particles.

5. How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution related to the ideal gas law?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is related to the ideal gas law through the root-mean-square speed of gas particles, which is a parameter that appears in both equations. The root-mean-square speed is defined as the square root of the average of the squared speeds of gas particles, and it is directly proportional to the temperature and inversely proportional to the molar mass of the gas.