Maxwell Boltzmann Distribution Question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of C in the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution equation for a two-dimensional gas. The solution involves integrating the equation and setting it equal to N, and then solving for C. To evaluate the integral, the limit as the upper bound approaches infinity is taken. Using a limit calculator, the value of C is determined to be -kT/2m.
Crosshash
Hello everyone

Homework Statement

The equivalent of the Maxwell-Boltzman distribution for a two-dimensional
gas is
[itex]P(v) = Cv e^-\frac {mv^2}{kt}[/itex]

Determine [itex]C[/itex] so that

[itex]\int_0^\infty P(v)dv = N[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not really sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't really sure how to tackle this question so I figured i'd integrate [itex]P(v)[/itex] since the question says that'll equal N.

[itex]\int_0^\infty P(v)dv[/itex]
[itex]\int_0^\infty Cv e^-\frac {mv^2}{kt} dv[/itex]
[itex]C\int_0^\infty v e^-\frac {mv^2}{kt} dv[/itex]

[itex] u = \frac {mv^2}{kt}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {du}{dv} = \frac {2mv}{kt}[/itex]

[itex]dv = \frac {du kt}{2mv}[/itex]

[itex]C\int_0^\infty v e^{-u} \frac {du kt}{2mv}[/itex]

[itex]C\int_0^\infty e^{-u} \frac {du kt}{2m}[/itex]

[itex]\frac {Ckt}{2m} \int_0^\infty e^{-u} du[/itex]

[itex] = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-u}\bigg]_0^\infty[/itex]

[itex] = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kt}}\bigg]_0^\infty[/itex]

I'm not really sure where to go from here. How would I evaluate this between infinity and zero?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: You said the entire integral has to equal N, correct? Well, your last line is equal to the integral. So if A = B and B=C ... ?

ok, so you're saying

[itex] N = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kt}}\bigg]_0^\infty[/itex]

which yeah, makes sense. But do you want me to rearrange it to make C the subject while not evaluating the integral?

Crosshash said:
ok, so you're saying

[itex] N = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kt}}\bigg]_0^\infty[/itex]

which yeah, makes sense. But do you want me to rearrange it to make C the subject while not evaluating the integral?

No. Evaluate the integral and then solve for C. That should be your answer.

G01 said:
No. Evaluate the integral and then solve for C. That should be your answer.

I thought so. This might seem stupid, but I really don't know how to evaluate the integral when one of the limits is [itex]\infty[/itex]. Could you shed some light on that please?

Crosshash said:
I thought so. This might seem stupid, but I really don't know how to evaluate the integral when one of the limits is [itex]\infty[/itex]. Could you shed some light on that please?

To evaluate your integral, evaluate the following instead:

[tex]N = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kt}}\bigg]_0^t[/tex]

Now take that whole resulting expression and take the limit as t[itex]\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Now can you solve for C?

G01 said:
To evaluate your integral, evaluate the following instead:

[tex]N = \frac {Ckt}{2m} \bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kt}}\bigg]_0^t[/tex]

Now take that whole resulting expression and take the limit as t[itex]\rightarrow\infty[/itex].

Now can you solve for C?

Ok, so [itex]\bigg[{-e^{-\frac {mv^2}{kT}}\bigg]_0^t[/itex]

will give me

[itex]\lim_{t \to \infty}({-e^{-\frac {mt^2}{kT}} + 1)[/itex]

yeah?

Sorry if this is annoying, I've never actually done something like this which seems a bit strange considering a question requires it. I appreciate the help.

I used a site that provides a nice integral and limit calculator:
http://www.numberempire.com/limitcalculator.php
From that, I get:

[tex]\[\lim_{v\to0}\left(-{{k\,T\,e^ {- {{m\,v^2}\over{k\,T}} }}\over{2\,m}}\right) = -{{k\,T}\over{2\,m}}\][/tex]
So:
[tex]\[C \times \left[ \frac{kTe^{\frac{-mv^2}{kT}}}{2m}\right]^{\infty}_0=C\times \frac{kT}{2m}\][/tex]

Have I missed something obvious?

Last edited:

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particle speeds in a gas at a given temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who independently developed the concept in the late 19th century.

2. What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is affected by the temperature of the gas, the mass of the particles, and the size of the container the gas is in. Higher temperatures, smaller particle masses, and larger containers result in a wider distribution with more particles at higher speeds.

3. What is the significance of the peak of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The peak of the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution represents the most probable speed of particles in the gas. This is the speed at which the majority of particles in the gas are moving and is directly related to the temperature of the gas.

4. How does the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a direct result of the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas particles are in constant, random motion and their average kinetic energy is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. The distribution describes the range of particle speeds that are possible at a given temperature.

5. Can the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution be applied to all gases?

Yes, the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution can be applied to all gases as long as they are in thermal equilibrium, meaning the temperature is uniform throughout the gas. It applies to both real gases and ideal gases, although the distribution may be slightly different for real gases due to intermolecular forces.