1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell’s equations for oscillating electric dipole

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I show that our equations for the E- and B-fields for the oscillating electric dipole do NOT satisfy Maxwell’s equations?

2. Relevant equations

After approximations in retarded potentials, we have our E- and B-field as following:

E = -ω2[itex]μ_{0}[/itex][itex]p_{0}[/itex](4∏r)-1sin(θ)cos[ω(t-[itex]\frac{r}{c}[/itex])][itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] (Griffiths 11.18)

and

B = -ω2[itex]μ_{0}[/itex][itex]p_{0}[/itex](4∏cr)-1sin(θ)cos[ω(t-[itex]\frac{r}{c}[/itex])][itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] (Griffiths 11.19)

Where ω is angular frequency for the oscillating charge moving back and forth, c is the speed of light, r is the distance where E and B are to be calculated, θ is the angle between dipole axis and the distance r, [itex]p_{0}[/itex] is the maximum value of dipole moment, [itex]μ_{0}[/itex] is permeability of free space, t is time, [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] is direction in azimuthal angle, and [itex]\hat{θ}[/itex] is direction in polar angle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got divergence of B is satisfied (2nd eq. of Maxwell's), also, I got faradays law satisfied (3rd eq. with curl of E).

I am stuck in the other two equations:

For Gauss's law (1st eq.) I got div. of E does not equal zero, but maybe that because of the charge density. So, I am not sure whether this equation is satisfied or not, and I do not know how to show that.

Also, the same argument For Curl of B. I got the same result for time derivative of E in addition to an extra component in [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] direction which may be the volume current density term in 4th Maxwell's equation (Ampere's and Maxwell's law).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Umm -they don't? Whose equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook