Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell's equations in curved spacetime.

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    Maxwell's equations in curved spacetime can be written as
    [tex]\nabla^a F_{ab} = -4\pi j_b, \nabla_{[a} F_{bc] = 0[/tex] or as [tex] d*F = 4\pi*j, dF = 0[/tex], where F is a two-form, j is a one-form and * is the Hodge star. How do you show that these two sets of equations are equivalent (basically, that the first from each set are equivalent since I see how the second ones are equivalent)? I tried working it out in local coordinates but it got really messy e.g. derivatives of the determinant of the metric and I was unable to get anywhere. I also tried to work it out in terms of an orthonormal frame (tetrad) but that didn't work since I don't know if the Christoffel symbols for the connection have a nice form in that basis.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Note this is problem 2 in chapter 4 of Wald's text.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    Are you done with problem 1? Completely? Sure?
  4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    Yes, I've done problem 1 (showing that [tex]\nabla^b j_b = 0[/tex]) as well as problem 2a (showing that ** = +- 1). I am confident in both of my solutions to these-- does one of these help?
  5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook