May have misrepresented information in a previous application last year

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's previous application to a small liberal arts college and their plan to reapply with more accurate and honest information. They reflect on their low self-esteem and lack of effort in their previous application, and now feel more prepared and motivated to attend the school. The listener agrees that this approach is reasonable and advises the speaker to be truthful if asked about their previous application. They also suggest that showing personal growth may be viewed positively by the admissions team.
Mépris
Here's the deal. Last year, my self esteem was down the drain. It still is, somewhat, but I'm in a much better place than I was last year, and it's getting progressively better.

I started an application to a very small (less than 300 students) liberal arts college (not in the US; but it's similar to US colleges) last year. The application is weird, in that all the info I would save couldn't be modified afterwards!

Now, the e-mail address that I used way back has since been deleted. I went to three high schools, and I can't remember if I only mentioned the high school I spent more years at, or all three. (I spent roughly one year at the last high schools)

I also described my activities like an idiot. For instance, I mentioned doing odd jobs for someone I knew, but didn't mention winning debates at school. I think that's because doing odd jobs was something completely new to me, whereas winning debates at school was about as impressive as eating two big macs, one after the other.

At any rate, this school is probably among the top 3 schools that I am more likely to get in, and would like to attend if accepted.

My course of action would be to completely ignore everything I wrote last year, and fill in the application completely truthfully (and seriously/conscientiously), and if it so happens that they ask about last year's previous application, then I'd explain that I was just stupid, low on self esteem, and didn't care too much about the application. But now that I've had some time to myself, and worked harder at school, and put significantly more effort into my activities and volunteering, I have a clearer idea as to what I want.

What are your thoughts on this? Of course, I realize that I was a complete retard with this incomplete app last year, but things have changed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your approach sounds reasonable and mature. Based on what you have said, I don't think it will be a large problem. Either way there is not much else you can do. Just tell them the truth if they ask. Having a story that shows that you have matured a great deal since the last application might even be a good thing.

Good luck!

1. Can I still apply for the same position even though I may have misrepresented information in a previous application last year?

Yes, you can still apply for the same position. However, it is important to be honest and transparent about any misrepresented information in your previous application. You may also want to address the issue in your current application and provide an explanation for why the information was misrepresented.

2. Will my previous application be considered if I have misrepresented information?

It depends on the company's policies and procedures. Some companies may automatically disqualify candidates who have misrepresented information in their application, while others may give you a chance to explain the situation. It is best to be upfront and honest about any misrepresented information to avoid any potential complications.

3. How will the company find out if I have misrepresented information in my previous application?

Companies often conduct thorough background checks and verify the information provided in your application. If they find any discrepancies or false information, it can be a red flag for your candidacy. It is important to be truthful and accurate in your application to avoid any issues in the future.

4. Can I be penalized for misrepresenting information in my previous application?

In some cases, yes. If it is discovered that you intentionally misrepresented information in your previous application, the company may choose to not consider you for the position or revoke an offer if you have already been hired. Additionally, it can damage your reputation and credibility, which can have negative impacts on your future job prospects.

5. What should I do if I realize I have misrepresented information in my previous application?

If you realize that you have misrepresented information in your previous application, it is important to address it as soon as possible. You can reach out to the company and explain the situation, providing any necessary clarification or documentation. It is also important to learn from your mistake and ensure that you are truthful and accurate in future applications.