MCAT Student lacking in physics understanding

• Thread starter bethschmidt0726
  • Start date
In summary, an MCAT student may struggle with understanding physics concepts due to the subject's abstract nature and complex mathematical equations. This can be overcome by actively engaging in practice problems and seeking additional resources, such as tutoring or review courses. It is important for the student to prioritize and dedicate sufficient time to studying physics in order to succeed on the MCAT.
bethschmidt0726
Hello! I am a non-traditional student (by that, I mean I'm old) and studying to take the MCAT. I have a degree in Art History and for the last several years I've been enrolled in science and math courses in preparations for the the exam. I hope to enter medical school during the Fall of 2021, meaning I want to take the exam next spring and apply to schools in May.

Full disclosure, I failed physics in high school - not because of any deficit on the teacher's part. He was great; interesting and fun. I realize now that I didn't have the math background needed to succeed in physics. I did have a guidance counselor who told me on my way into 10th grade that I was good in science and should take physics... IN THE 10TH GRADE. Big mistake.

In college, I've succeeded in scorings A's in both Physics I and II... mainly because I can memorize and I had another fabulous teacher. I still struggle with some concepts and my memorization has proven to be mostly short term.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Beth! :smile:

bethschmidt0726 said:
In college, I've succeeded in scorings A's in both Physics I and II... mainly because I can memorize and I had another fabulous teacher.

Being good at memorizing will serve you well in Medical School. Have you been able to do any volunteer work with patients yet? It's good to get some experience with patients before heading off to Medical School, to see how you like patient contacts. :smile: