1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mean value theorm, what did i do wrong?

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    so the function is f(x) = 8sqrt(x) + 8

part a says consider the function on the interval [3,5] and find the average slope on this interval

i know how to solve this using the mean value theorem f'(c) = f(b)-f(a)/(b-a)

and you get 4sqrt(5) - 4sqrt(3)

part be then asks, "By the Mean Value Theorem, we know there exists a c in the open interval (3,5) such that f'(c) is equal to the mean slope. for this problem there is only one c that works. find it.

so what i did was first find f'(x) which is 4/sqrt(x) then i set that equal to the average slope that i figured out in the first part so you get:

4/sqrtc = 4sqrt5 - 4sqrt3

to solve for c then i divided both sides by 4 to get:

1/sqrtc = sqrt5 - sqrt3

then i squared both sides and got c = 1/2 but that cant be right since c has to be between (3,5). doiing it another way i got c = 2 but that again cant be right

hopefully someone can spot out a mistake that i made, i would really appreciate it.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    nevermind, i figured out what i was doing wrong, i didnt square (sqrt5-sqrt3) the right way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook