Meaning of Matrices in Systems of Differential Equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
daveyman
Messages
88
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



My question is a general question about the meaning of matrices, but I will narrow it down to a single problem.

The problems asks to draw a direction field and find the general solution for the following system:

[tex]x'=\left(<br /> \begin{array}{cc}<br /> 1 & 1 \\<br /> 4 & 1<br /> \end{array}<br /> \right)x[/tex]

I don't quite understand what this matrix means in this context (I have not taken linear algebra yet). I know this represents a system of equations, but how could I rewrite this system in standard notation?

Homework Equations


N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



My only thought is that maybe it could be rewritten as:

[tex]x'=1x+1x[/tex] and [tex]x_2'=4x+1x[/tex]. Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write a column vector of two functions, x=(x1,x2). Then x'=(x1',x2'). The system is x1'=x1+x2, x2'=4x1+x2.