Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meaning of Scale of an events/process in MonteCarlo

1. Jul 14, 2013 #1
    Meaning of "Scale" of an events/process in MonteCarlo

Hi there

I do have this question - I often hear that "this depends on the scale of the process" for example when it comes to match the matrix-elements with a parton-shower program (I am new to MonteCarlo world)

so, what does "scale" means ? Is just the Q that is carried out by the produced particle or is what we could define as factorization scale ie Q^2 = m^2(W) + Sum{JetPT(i)}

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2
    Hello,

There are I guess 3 types of scale present normally.

The first is the momentum exchange of the process, Q^2. Which is determined by the incoming colliding particles or by a previous branching if you are talking about Parton showering.

Then there are two un physical scales. Renormalization and factorisation

This first if these is essentially a momentum cut off for loop integrals.

The second has to do with factoring some particle splittings into say a proton, as oppose to including it in a matrix element.

These last two scales are a remnant if the fact we are doing perturbation only to some order. I.e. because we are ignorant to higher orders we haven't calculated.

Hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook