Meaning of "selling war surplus groceries" in historical text

  • Thread starter Thread starter askingquestion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    meaning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
askingquestion
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I know that surplus is extra.

What is the meaning of it in the text below:
Jack Cohen realized in 1919 that he could profits from selling war surplus groceries and, in fact, Cohen started from a stall in East End of London. Tesco as a brand did not appear until 1924, when Cohen bought from T.E. Stockwell a shipment of tea, which was its first own-brand product.

From the document (in section 2 after the title "HISTORY OF TESCO PLT":
https://accid.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Case-Tesco-PLCformatv.pdf
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"War surplus groceries" would be non-perishable items that were used to feed the British soldiers during WW I. I suppose this would include various canned foods or things like dried beans and such.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: e_jane and askingquestion
World War I created shortages. Britain began rationing in 1918. Rationing often results in (or indeed requires) that supplies be set aside for possible future demand. Thus the surplus in food supplies, where said surplus resulted from rationing caused by the Great War.