Measuring Spectrum of Boxes A & B: Same QM System?

• Thread starter zetafunction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a spectrometer to measure the absorption and emission spectra of two boxes labelled A and B. The question is raised whether these boxes contain the same quantum mechanical system, and it is concluded that knowing the absorption and emission spectra alone does not fully define a system, but knowing the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates does. The idea of having different systems with the same energy eigenvalues but different eigenstates is also discussed.
zetafunction
let us suppose we have two boxes labelled by A and B

i can not open none of them (the boxes) but i can use an spectrometer to measure the absortion and emission spectrum

i chek that the eigenvalues of both systems are equal , then my question is A and B boxes contain the same QM system??

the idea is, is a system completely defined by knowing its spectrum ??

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so... if you're talking about the absorption/emission spectra resulting from transitions between states, the spectrum tells you only the energy eigenvalues (or rather, the differences between them). I think you could, in principle, have different systems with the same energy eigenvalues but different corresponding eigenstates (wavefunctions).

If you know the energy eigenvalues and the eigenstates, then I think that does characterize everything you need to know about the system. (Good luck figuring out the eigenstates though ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of measuring the spectrum of Boxes A & B?

The purpose of measuring the spectrum of Boxes A & B is to understand the properties and behavior of the quantum mechanical (QM) system. The spectrum provides information about the energy levels and transitions of the system, which can help in further analysis and applications.

2. How is the spectrum of Boxes A & B measured?

The spectrum of Boxes A & B is measured using a spectrometer, which is a device that separates and measures the different wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by the system. This can be done by shining a light through the boxes and analyzing the resulting spectrum.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the spectrum measurement?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the spectrum measurement, such as the sensitivity and calibration of the spectrometer, the quality and composition of the boxes, and external factors like temperature and pressure. It is important to carefully control and consider these factors to obtain reliable results.

4. Can the spectrum of Boxes A & B change over time?

Yes, the spectrum of Boxes A & B can change over time due to various factors such as environmental conditions, interactions with other particles, and changes in the system itself. It is important to regularly measure and monitor the spectrum to track any changes and understand their implications.

5. How is the spectrum of Boxes A & B used in practical applications?

The spectrum of Boxes A & B can be used in various practical applications, such as in quantum computing, spectroscopy, and material analysis. By understanding the energy levels and transitions of the system, researchers can design and optimize systems for specific purposes, such as creating more efficient and secure quantum computers or developing new materials with desired properties.