Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meassuring spectrum

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    let us suppose we have two boxes labelled by A and B

i can not open none of them (the boxes) but i can use an spectrometer to measure the absortion and emission spectrum

i chek that the eigenvalues of both systems are equal , then my question is A and B boxes contain the same QM system??

the idea is, is a system completely defined by knowing its spectrum ??

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

I don't think so... if you're talking about the absorption/emission spectra resulting from transitions between states, the spectrum tells you only the energy eigenvalues (or rather, the differences between them). I think you could, in principle, have different systems with the same energy eigenvalues but different corresponding eigenstates (wavefunctions).

If you know the energy eigenvalues and the eigenstates, then I think that does characterize everything you need to know about the system. (Good luck figuring out the eigenstates though ;-)

4. May 5, 2009 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook