1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure inward and outward pressure in a pipe?

1. Mar 3, 2014 #1
    Lets say I have the following pipe with layers of different material (material is simply a example):

DlR87ak.png

As you can see in the middle there is a hole with just air thru it. If I fill that pipe with pressurized water, it will make OUTWARD pressure on that first steel pipe. Obviously because of the different material, they will also give in OUTWARD pressure and INWARD pressure to hold itself so it wont break.

How can I measure the pressure each layer makes INWARD and OUTWARD? What sensors are there out there to do this?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2014 #2
    The "inward" and "outward pressures" (normal stresses) at the interfaces are equal to one another by Newton's third law. You might be able to use flush mounted stress transducers to measure the stresses. You can also calculate the stresses and deformations (given the physical properties of the different materials) using stress analysis.

Chet

4. Mar 3, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook