1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Measure of the smallest angle in the triangle

1. Aug 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a triangle, two sides that measure 6 centimeters and 10 centimeters form an angle that measures 80 degrees. Find to the nearest degree, the measure of the smallest angle in the triangle.

2. Relevant equations

A2 = B2 + C2 – 2bc Cos A

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using this formula to get the answer but it didn't work out. This is one of the questions from the algebra 2 trigonometry regents. I know the answer which is 33 degrees but I dont know on how to get to that answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2010 #2
    Re: Trigonometry

I think relevant equation would actually be

[tex] \frac{a}{sinA} = \frac{b}{sinB} = \frac{c}{sinC} [/tex]

along with the equation you've mentioned

4. Aug 16, 2010 #3

Okay, then a = 6, b = 10 and C = 80 degrees, right? Then idk how to use the revelant equations you implied.

5. Aug 16, 2010 #4

i just edited my reply. use your equation first and find c. Then use my equation to get A and B

6. Aug 16, 2010 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

Can you show us your work? Because I was able to get the answer (approx 33.409°). Make sure you are in degree mode when doing your calculations (or convert the 80° to radians).

Perhaps using the Law of Sines will work, but the OP may be required to use Law of Cosines for this problem.

EDIT: Too slow ^.^

7. Aug 16, 2010 #6

Thanks a lot praharmitra for this. I really appreciate it.

8. Aug 16, 2010 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, if you're not sure about the sine law, you can solve it using sin, cos and tan in right-angled triangles (draw the triangle, call its height h and relate it to the sine of 80 degrees, then divide the side of length 10 into two pieces of length L and 10 - L and relate L to the cosine of 80 degrees).

9. Aug 16, 2010 #8

first you need to find side c using cosine law c2=a2 +b2=2abcosC
    then use sine law to find angle A, cause the higher angle, the longer the side, since side A is the shortest, which means angle A is the smallest.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook