Measure of the smallest angle in the triangle

In summary: Then use the law of sine to find angle B and angle C.angle B is the opposite angle of angle A, so the cosine of B must be opposite the cosine of A, which is -cosB=cosA.angle C is the same as angle A, so the cosine of C must be the same as the cosine of A.That's it!
priscilla98

Homework Statement

In a triangle, two sides that measure 6 centimeters and 10 centimeters form an angle that measures 80 degrees. Find to the nearest degree, the measure of the smallest angle in the triangle.

Homework Equations

A2 = B2 + C2 – 2bc Cos A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using this formula to get the answer but it didn't work out. This is one of the questions from the algebra 2 trigonometry regents. I know the answer which is 33 degrees but I don't know on how to get to that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think relevant equation would actually be

[tex] \frac{a}{sinA} = \frac{b}{sinB} = \frac{c}{sinC} [/tex]

along with the equation you've mentioned

Okay, then a = 6, b = 10 and C = 80 degrees, right? Then idk how to use the revelant equations you implied.

priscilla98 said:
Okay, then a = 6, b = 10 and C = 80 degrees, right? Then idk how to use the revelant equations you implied.

i just edited my reply. use your equation first and find c. Then use my equation to get A and B

Can you show us your work? Because I was able to get the answer (approx 33.409°). Make sure you are in degree mode when doing your calculations (or convert the 80° to radians).

Perhaps using the Law of Sines will work, but the OP may be required to use Law of Cosines for this problem.69

EDIT: Too slow ^.^

Thanks a lot praharmitra for this. I really appreciate it.

Actually, if you're not sure about the sine law, you can solve it using sin, cos and tan in right-angled triangles (draw the triangle, call its height h and relate it to the sine of 80 degrees, then divide the side of length 10 into two pieces of length L and 10 - L and relate L to the cosine of 80 degrees).

first you need to find side c using cosine law c2=a2 +b2=2abcosC
then use sine law to find angle A, cause the higher angle, the longer the side, since side A is the shortest, which means angle A is the smallest.

1. What is the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle?

The measure of the smallest angle in a triangle can vary depending on the specific triangle. In a right triangle, the smallest angle will always be 90 degrees. In an equilateral triangle, all angles will be 60 degrees, making the smallest angle also 60 degrees. In a scalene or isosceles triangle, the smallest angle will be the one opposite the shortest side.

2. How do I find the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle?

To find the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle, you will need to know the measures of the other two angles. Then, you can use the fact that the sum of all three angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. Subtract the measures of the other two angles from 180 to find the measure of the smallest angle.

3. Can the smallest angle in a triangle be negative?

No, the measure of an angle cannot be negative. Angles are measured in degrees, which are always positive values.

4. Is the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle always the same?

No, the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle can vary depending on the triangle's size and shape. The only case where the smallest angle will always be the same is in an equilateral triangle, where all angles are equal.

5. How does the measure of the smallest angle in a triangle affect the triangle's properties?

The measure of the smallest angle in a triangle can affect the triangle's properties in various ways. In general, a smaller angle will result in a longer side opposite that angle. The smallest angle can also determine if the triangle is acute, right, or obtuse. In an acute triangle, all angles are less than 90 degrees, while in an obtuse triangle, one angle is greater than 90 degrees. In a right triangle, one angle is always 90 degrees.