1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of the angles of a spherical triangle

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the sum of the angles of a spherical triangle formed on the surface of a sphere of radius R? The triangle is formed by the intersections of the arcs of great circles. Let
    A be the area of the surface of the sphere enclosed by the triangle.

This question is a result of self-study.
    2. Relevant equations
    The text I have provides the following formula: sum of the angles = π + A/R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    A course I had last year covered steradians. My confusion relates to the formula. If the triangle was two-dimensional, the sum of the angles would of course be π radians. Also, the surface area enclosed by the spherical triangle subtends a solid angle of A/R^2 steradians.
    Do these details mean that the right side of the formula listed above is a sum of radians and steradians? Are radians and steradians both just considered “degrees” that can be added together?

Thank you for clarifying.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect not - though they are both dimensionless units, not all dimensionless units can be safely added ... consider degrees and radians.
    You should go through the derivation carefully - for instance, the formula for the sum of angles on the unit sphere would be ##S=\pi+A## ... clearly you cannot add an angle and an area: the dimensions don't match. What has happened is that the addition of "unit sphere" in the description adds the implied scale factor that R=1<unit>. This is also how radians get defined: the arcength on the unit circle inside the angle.
    What is happening with the formula is that the number of radians you have to add to the plane geometry sum-of-angles happens to be the same as the number of steradians the area of the triangle subtends.

Try looking through a step-by-step:
    https://nrich.maths.org/1434

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted