Measurement Devices: Tachometers

In summary, the conversation discusses different tachometer options for measuring the RPM of DC motors at various voltages and loads. The cheapest options found so far are an analog and a laser hand-held tachometer, with suggestions for a magnetic pickup or an optical pickup. Some have used a rubber wheel type tachometer, but prefer the more expensive strobe light type for easier and more accurate readings.
MachX
Hello All,

I am experimenting with DC motors and different speed settings, and I am looking for a way to measure RPM at different voltages and loads. I have been looking at different tachometers and trying to determine what my best option is. The reading does not have to be super sensitive, and I am trying to make it as simple as possible. So far I have found an analog and a laser hand-held tachometer which seems to be my cheapest option.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-rc-tachometer.html

Anyone used these or have any suggestions for other tachometer solutions that are cheap and for small scale 0.25" or so shafts?

I know a device exists that will read rpm from a given motor based on voltage input, but unfortunately said device would be specific to its motor. I don't know if I want to try and build such a thing for the motor I have. :bugeye:

Engineering news on Phys.org
A magnetic pickup will create a pulse train whose frequency is proportional to RPM. Ditto for an optical pickup. That laser device you mention is probably an optical pickup.

i have used the rubber wheel type hand held tachometer but really like the strobe light type. More expensive but much easier to get a good reading

1. What is a tachometer and how does it work?

A tachometer is a device used to measure the rotational speed of a mechanical component, such as an engine or motor. It works by measuring the number of revolutions per minute (RPM) of the component, which is typically displayed on a dial or digital screen.

2. What are the different types of tachometers?

There are two main types of tachometers: contact and non-contact. Contact tachometers use physical contact with the rotating component to measure the RPM, while non-contact tachometers use light or magnetic sensors to measure the RPM without touching the component.

3. What are the applications of tachometers?

Tachometers are commonly used in industries such as automotive, aviation, and manufacturing, where precise measurement of RPM is necessary for monitoring and controlling machinery. They are also used in sports and recreational activities, such as measuring the speed of a vehicle or the rotation of a spinning object.

4. Can tachometers measure other units besides RPM?

Yes, some tachometers have the ability to measure other units such as feet per minute (FPM) or meters per minute (MPM). This can be useful in industries where measurement of linear speed is important, such as in conveyor belts or wind turbines.

5. How accurate are tachometers?

The accuracy of tachometers can vary depending on the type and quality of the device. Contact tachometers tend to be more accurate, with an error margin of around 0.1%, while non-contact tachometers can have an error margin of up to 1%. It is important to calibrate tachometers regularly to maintain accuracy.