Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring AC current with an oscilloscope.

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    I have a technical question, for research purposes.

I have LED that we probe in AC mode. To measure the applied voltage in AC and the light-response in AC is no problem.

However I would like to measure the current going through the device as well and I would like to link it to an oscilloscope. Now OSC usually measure potential (and have limited range) and I'd like to know how to have a signal directly related to the current on the OSC.

If you know of any particular instrumentation please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

Paul Colby

Gold Member

Put a resistor in series with the LED and measure the voltage across it with a scope. That's how I've done it in the past. Ohms law rocks.

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    Yes, that's basically trivial.

I was looking for a more detailed and reliable solution. Currents will be in the range from nano to micro ampere (or even pico-ampere for some other devices) and frequencies above 100 kHz.

I think that, amplifier aside, I need a bit more than that.

5. Feb 6, 2017 #4

Paul Colby

Gold Member

By AC mode I assume you are using a time dependent driver for the LED. Why are the currents you expect so small?

6. Feb 6, 2017 #5
    Because I am working at low voltages and new materials.

7. Feb 6, 2017 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

The standard current-to-voltage converter for very low current is the classic Op-Amp circuit:
    upload_2017-2-6_7-44-41.png
    Depending on your requirements, the circuit can be tweaked to compensate for temperature and bias current variations. Google "current voltage converter".

8. Feb 6, 2017 #7
    Check for some 'current sense amplifier' with programmable gain. Pretty reliable stuff, and usually there is a ton of AppNote too.

9. Feb 7, 2017 #8
    Thank you Svein and Rive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted