Measuring Energy of Transients in electrical circuits

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
vsg21
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Is there a way or reasonably priced equipment out there that can measure the energy levels of transients in electrical circuits?

Any help would be appriciated!
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends a lot on the source impedance of the transient and what load it is going into. I don't think there is a single piece of equipment that can just do it or any arbitrary transient.

Unless this is some kind of industrial application transient (like Ws of power or something) I would just try to get the current and voltage waveforms on a scope and determine it directly.

I suppose this would work even for many amps delivered to the load too but you would likely want to use some kind of magnetic current probe accessory on the scope to keep from having to use something in series with the current.

$0.02
 
es1 said:
Depends a lot on the source impedance of the transient and what load it is going into. I don't think there is a single piece of equipment that can just do it or any arbitrary transient.

Unless this is some kind of industrial application transient (like Ws of power or something) I would just try to get the current and voltage waveforms on a scope and determine it directly.

I suppose this would work even for many amps delivered to the load too but you would likely want to use some kind of magnetic current probe accessory on the scope to keep from having to use something in series with the current.

$0.02


Hi,

The source impedance varies from 50 to 200 ohms. The load is between 0.5-1.5 ohms. Using a scope would be quite a long procedure and not very accurate.

ANY MORE HELP WOULD BE GREAT (ANYONE).