1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring pressure using a manometer.

1. Aug 2, 2013 #1
    Problem:
    1. The pressure of a gas cell is measured with a mercurcy manometer. The mercury is 32.6 cm higher in the outside arm than in the arm connected to the gas cell. Calculate the gas pressure.

Relevant equations/given data
    2. p(Pressure at depth h) = p(Pressure of atmosphere) + ρ(Density of liquid)*g(Gravitionational acceleration)*h
    Pressure of atmosphere = 1atm = 101,300Pa. Density of mercury = 13,600kg/m^3

Attempted solution
    3. p(gas) = p(Pressure of atmosphere) + ρ(Density of liquid)*g(Gravitionational acceleration)*h
    p(gas) = 101,300 + (13600*9.8*0.326) = 144749.28Pa = 144.75kPa. I have the solution and it says the answer should be 149.5kPa. Have I done something wrong, or is the solution incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2
    Your calculation is exactly correct. The answer is the book is for a mercury height of 36.2cm. Is there any chance that you misread the problem and got the 6 and 2 backwards? If not, don't spend any more time thinking about it, you know what you are doing and the answer key had a typo.

Dr Peter Vaughan
    BASIS Peoria Physics

4. Aug 3, 2013 #3
    Oh my!!! Stupid me! You are right, I misread the 6 and the 2 backwards. That clears it up, thanks for the help! =D

5. Aug 3, 2013 #4
    Those are absolutely the most difficult mistakes to find. Fortunately, they are also by far the least important mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted