1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring Temperature Using a Carbon Resistor

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    A carbon resistor is to be used as a thermometer. On a winter day when the temperature is 4.00(Degree C.), the resistance of the carbon resistor is 218.0(Greek "w') . What is the temperature on a spring day when the resistance is 215.8(Greek "W")?
    Take the temperature coefficient of resistivity for carbon to be (alpha) = −5.00×10−4C^-1

I am not so sure how should i start... what equation should i apply in here? .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does the temperature coefficient of resistivity tell you?
    (i.e. what does the number mean?)
    Hint: Look at the unit

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks!!

5. Jan 20, 2008 #4
    Electricity and Water Analogy

Consider the following water circuit: water is continually pumped to high pressure by a pump, and then funnelled into a pipe that has lower pressure at its far end (else the water would not flow through the pipe) and back to the pump. Two such circuits are identical, except for one difference: the pipes in one circuit have a larger diameter than the pipes in the other circuit. Through which circuit is the flow of water greater?

Small pipe
    Large pipe

I am not so sure, if there have not tell me the velocity, how am i going to know?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?