Mech Eng Major & Aero Eng Minor?

• Thread starter reazon1n1
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Mech Eng Major & Aero Eng Minor???

I aim to be an Aerospace Eng. Currently I am a Mechanical Eng major @ Lehigh University. I plan to do a minor in Aerospace Eng. I want to do my Masters in Aerospace Eng at one of the top ranking colleges(hopefully) and pursue a career in this field. Is this (Mech Eng major and Aerospace Eng minor) a choice good?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

It is a good choice if it is what you want to do. No one can really tell you if it is the right choice for you though. You have to figure that out on your own. Many mechanical engineers do graduate programs in aerospace engineers, regardless of whether they did a "minor" in aerospace during their undergraduate years. All you really have to do is have the grades since the two majors are closely related.

That said, it is definitely a good idea to give your mechanical curriculum an aerospace flair, whether you have a "minor" or not. My school didn't offer a minor in aerospace, so I just took a handful of extra fluids classes and it worked out great for me when I got to graduate school.