Mechanical Engineering Career Path

In summary, a mechanical engineering student is seeking help with a report comparing their ideal career path to the actual career paths of engineers. They are hoping to find engineers to answer some questions, but are advised to contact local engineering firms and shadow an experienced engineer for a more credible and insightful report.
mecestudent
Hello,

I am a Mechanical engineering student and I would really appreciate help with finishing a report I have to write. I have to interview mechanical engineers and ask them about their careers but I don't know that many (almost none) engineers in real life. The purpose of this report is to compare my idea of what my career path will be like to the actual career paths of engineers. I will then have to identify differences and issues that may arise in my "ideal" career path.
I was hoping I would be able to find some engineers that could answer some questions for me. Hopefully it doesn't take too much of your time. You do not have to include your name or the name of any companies you've worked for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The questions are as follows:
1) How long have you been working
2) Job changes in that time
3) promotions attained and key factors contributing to them
4) type and nature of work duties/responsibilities over time
5) significant factors they see as important in determining success

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just graduated college last year with a degree in mechanical engineering. I do not feel that I have the experience helping you with your report. However, I would like to make a suggestion.
I had to write a report similar to what you are writing. Getting answers online from a forum is not the correct way to write this report. How are you sure that those who answer your questions are a creditable source? I would suggest you contact an engineer who is local to where you are located. You will be surprised at how many people you can schedule a visit to interview.

1) Get online and Google engineering firms in your area.
2) Make a few phone calls. Ask for the chief engineer or engineering manager. Chances are he/she will have had many years of experience and can answer any questions you have.
3) Ask if you could shadow for a few hours. In a few hours you can tour the engineering offices, speak with other engineers, or even get to tour a project site or manufacturing plant.

Your report will have more substance and credibility if you can get some face-to-face time with an experienced engineer. This will also give you a chance to network. You never know what opportunities you can have in the future.

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. This includes machines, tools, engines, and other mechanical devices.

2. What skills are required to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a successful mechanical engineer, one must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a good understanding of mathematics and physics. Additionally, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) and project management is also necessary.

3. What career opportunities are available for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, transportation, aerospace, and energy. They can also specialize in areas such as robotics, automotive design, or HVAC systems.

4. What is the typical salary for a mechanical engineer?

The average salary for a mechanical engineer varies depending on experience, education, and location. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers in 2019 was $88,430.

5. What steps should I take to pursue a career in mechanical engineering?

To become a mechanical engineer, one should typically complete a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs. After graduation, obtaining a professional engineering license may also be necessary for certain positions.