Mechanical Engineering Career Path

In summary, if you want to make a lot of money and increase your responsibilities as you move up in a company or organization, you should try to work with machines more often. If you're aiming to work with electrical or civil degrees, it might not be the best career choice, depending on the specific job requirements.
Adam Rienzie
Hi Physics Forum,

I know the question is broad, but I do wish for advice on this matter. I will be graduating in one month with my degree in Mechanical Engineering and I was hoping for some guidance based on my education and experience.

I have completed three internships and one senior project. However The majority of these have been designing and drafting using Solidworks, AutoCad, and other 3D modeling programs. I'm only worried due to the fact that some opportunities require more manufacturing and hands on experience.

I plan to take the FE/EIT exam in the fall and I plan on eventually taking the patent bar exam afterwards.

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask more specific questions. Asking for "guidance based on your education and experience" is so broad it's borderline pointless. "Make a lot of money and increase your responsibilities as you move up in a company or organization" is pretty general advice, but doesn't help anyone.

True here are some more specific questions related to this article.

1. When applying for jobs, most wish for at least 2 years experience working in a related field (i.e manufacturing, automotive, etc). My experience is mostly centered around CAD work and the only job opportunities that seem to
respond are just more CAD work. Should I try to start out with a tech job to increase my experience working with specific machines? I am looking into working with HVAC systems because I enjoyed my thermal systems class.

2. Is choosing a job that usually involves a different degree for future advancement a bad career choice? If I am working with for a company that usually hires electrical or civil degrees but I qualify for a basic position (such as drafting, CAD, 3D modeling, etc), will that affect my career outlook as to me advancing and taking on more responsibilities? I feel that this is so due to specifics in job requirements.

Thank you again for responding

1. What is mechanical engineering and what do mechanical engineers do?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Mechanical engineers use principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create solutions for a variety of problems. They can work on anything from small individual components to large systems like aircrafts and power plants.

2. What education and training is required to become a mechanical engineer?

To become a mechanical engineer, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or specialized training in a specific area of mechanical engineering. In addition to formal education, mechanical engineers also need to have strong problem-solving and analytical skills.

3. What industries can mechanical engineers work in?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, energy, and robotics. They are also in demand in emerging fields such as nanotechnology and biotechnology. Many mechanical engineers also work in research and development, designing new products and technologies.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in mechanical engineering?

In addition to strong technical and problem-solving abilities, successful mechanical engineers also possess strong communication and teamwork skills. They need to be able to work effectively with other engineers, technicians, and professionals from different backgrounds. Time management, organization, and attention to detail are also important skills for a mechanical engineering career.

5. What are the job prospects and salary expectations for mechanical engineers?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers are generally favorable, as there is a demand for their skills in various industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers was $88,430 in May 2020. Salaries can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. As mechanical engineers gain experience and advance in their careers, they can also expect to see an increase in their salary.