Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project

In summary, two mechanical engineering technology students are seeking a feasible senior design project related to acoustics that combines their passion for music with their studies. They have a strong theoretical base and plan to pursue a MSME with a focus on structural dynamics and vibro acoustics. They are open to ideas and currently considering improving the architectural acoustics of an auditorium or exploring the sound quality of different musical instruments. One idea is to use modern experimental test instrumentation to replicate the sound quality of aged instruments in newly manufactured ones. They also have access to both aged and new instruments and could analyze specific brands to determine the parameters that produce quality sound. Another suggestion is to look into controlling interference in violin tone by Stradivari and Guarner
FastLineare
Hello All,

My partner and I are mechanical engineering technology students who are in search of a feasible senior design project related to acoustics. During the first semester we will be doing the theoretical parts then during the second semester we will be doing the hands-on implementation/build. Both my partner and I have a strong theoretical base as we did not take the normal cirriculum associated with an MET program.

My design partner and I play several musical instruments. Her main instrument is the Clarinet and mine is the Viola. We are hoping to find a project that will mix our passion for music with our study of mechanical engineering.

After I complete the BSMET, I plan to complete a MSME with a focus on structural dynamics and vibro acoustics. Therefore, I would like to use this senior design project as preparation before going into the MSME program.

We would appreciate any thoughts or ideas that you have. So far the only project relating to acoustics we have in our basket is to improve on the architectural acoustics of an auditorium at our school. However, due to funding that would possibly be required to complete such a project, we are staying very open minded.

Thank you,

FastLineare

Physics news on Phys.org
Another interesting idea is to look at the sound quality (or "timbre") of your different instruments (and possibly others). This can change as a function of volume, etc. (even perhaps the maker and model of your particular instrument -- esp. if you can get ahold of a student model versus a professional make).

physics girl phd said:
Another interesting idea is to look at the sound quality (or "timbre") of your different instruments (and possibly others). This can change as a function of volume, etc. (even perhaps the maker and model of your particular instrument -- esp. if you can get ahold of a student model versus a professional make).

Thanks for your input...

Violin Acoustics

What if as a result of using modern day experimental test instrumentation, we were able to find a way to get the same sound quality (or “timbre”) as is obtained from aged instruments? What if we were able to get this same sound quality (or better) out of the instrument right off the manufacturing floor (from day 1)?

We could analyze the effect of geometry, glue used, types of wood, finishing, and other parameters which produce the quality of sound. We probably have access to aged instruments and new instruments because we are collaborating with the music department at our school. Maybe we could analyze one brand of instrument that has not changed in design for a long period of time. We could statistically determine what is considered a good quality aged instrument brand.

FastLineare Try looking up "control of interference by Stradivari and Guarneri" I suggested a very persuasive solution to violin tone and feel as if I`ve been mugged by the reaction against my little theory. This is on the Violin Forum Leif Luscombe . My nom de plume is Amezcua.

What is the "Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project"?

The Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project is a senior-level research project that aims to investigate the effects of vibration and sound on mechanical systems, and develop solutions to mitigate these effects. It is typically undertaken by students majoring in mechanical engineering, acoustics, or related fields.

What are the goals of the "Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project"?

The goals of the Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project may vary depending on the specific project, but some common objectives include: identifying sources of vibration and noise in a mechanical system, designing and implementing solutions to reduce or control these effects, and evaluating the effectiveness of these solutions through testing and analysis.

What skills are required to work on the "Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project"?

To work on the Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project, students should have a strong foundation in mechanical engineering principles, as well as an understanding of acoustics and vibrations. They should also have experience with data collection and analysis, as well as proficiency in relevant software and instrumentation.

What are some potential applications of the findings from the "Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project"?

The findings from the Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project can have a wide range of applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, construction, and manufacturing. They can help improve the design and functionality of mechanical systems, reduce noise pollution, and enhance the overall comfort and safety of individuals in their environment.

How is the "Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project" different from other senior design projects?

The Vibro Acoustics Senior Design Project is unique in that it focuses specifically on the effects of vibration and sound on mechanical systems. It also requires a multidisciplinary approach, combining knowledge and skills from mechanical engineering, acoustics, and other related fields. Additionally, this project often involves testing and experimentation to validate the proposed solutions, making it a hands-on and practical experience for students.