Senior design project ideas merging biomedical and electrical engineering

In summary, the conversation was about finding an electrical engineering senior design project suitable for someone with a BME/EE background. The person is interested in utilizing their knowledge in biology, chemistry, and signal processing for the project and prefers it to heavily involve signal processing. They have basic skills in machining and soldering but are not experienced in making. The budget for the project is $200 but external sources can be used to supplement it. Prosthetics, laboratory automation, and instrumentation were suggested as potential project ideas.
Tetraoxygen
Do you have any electrical engineering senior design projects suitable for someone who is BME/EE? This is one of the (few) classes necessary if I want to also complete the EE major, which I sort of joined for fun, because (i) they have all the math courses, not sure why and (ii) the professors smile more.

The degree of BME-ness can be varied, but I'd like to make use of my background in biology, chemistry (up to P Chem), and signal processing (technically in the EE dept.) if I can. Technically, "applied physics" is covered within our EE dept., and I have some research experience with thermodynamics and NMR. I would strongly prefer that the project is heavy on signal processing.

Programming: Our EE design course professor pretty much insists that the coding should be done in LabView. I am more familiar with Java, Matlab, Maple, and a little C++.

I have basic machining and soldering skills, but I am far from a "maker." I have a summer and a semester to learn what is necessary by the spring semester of 2013.

The budget is about $200, but we are allowed to supplement it with external sources (mine still has ~$2000 left).

Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure, prosthetics, laboratory automation, instrumentation. I think the field is rich for that combination.

1. What is a senior design project?

A senior design project is a culminating project that undergraduate students in engineering, science, or technology fields complete in their final year of study. It allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned throughout their education to a real-world problem or challenge.

2. What is the importance of merging biomedical and electrical engineering in a senior design project?

Merging biomedical and electrical engineering in a senior design project allows for the development of innovative solutions to complex problems in the healthcare industry. This interdisciplinary approach combines the principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to create cutting-edge technologies and improve patient care.

3. What are some potential senior design project ideas that merge biomedical and electrical engineering?

Some potential senior design project ideas in this field could include designing a prosthetic limb with advanced sensing and control capabilities, developing a wearable device for monitoring vital signs in real-time, creating a smart medication dispenser for elderly patients, or designing a non-invasive brain-computer interface for individuals with disabilities.

4. How can I get started on a senior design project in biomedical and electrical engineering?

To get started on a senior design project in this field, you can begin by researching current trends and challenges in healthcare and identifying potential areas for improvement. You can also reach out to professors or industry professionals for guidance and mentorship. Collaborating with other students or joining a senior design team can also provide valuable resources and support.

5. What skills and knowledge are necessary for a successful senior design project in biomedical and electrical engineering?

To successfully complete a senior design project in this field, students should have a strong foundation in both biomedical and electrical engineering principles. They should also possess critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as effective communication and teamwork abilities. Familiarity with relevant software and technologies, such as CAD and programming languages, may also be necessary depending on the project idea.