1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical engineering

1. Dec 3, 2005 #1
    Hi, I'm wondering if mechanical engineering requires a fairly extensive knowledge of the basics of electrical engineering eg. circuit theory and the practical side of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2005 #2
  4. Dec 3, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Any ME program will have a good 3 or so classes minimum in EE. In today's market you have to know the basics because everything is intermeshing. It's not like you'll sit down and anylize circuit diagrams or anything like that, but there is a lot of theory and knowledge that is just plain day to day language and understanding. For example, in my area, R&D, I work closely with EE's in our data syatems and our engine control systems. I have to know how sensors are implemented and work, PLC's, and basic industrial control schemes for heaters, coolers and such. It is mandatory to know how these things operate for the inevitable breakdowns and troubleshooting of systems. It's not super high end digital stuff, but it's all in an area that is not considered pure ME. Without a basic understanding of electrical engineering, you can be at a real disadvantage depending on where you end up career wise.

Don't be afraid of braanching out and learning something new.

5. Dec 3, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the responses.

6. Dec 3, 2005 #5
    Im required to take 3 simesters of EE work. Phyiscs 2, and two courses called "electonics and instrumentation", but I would recomend more if possible.

7. Dec 4, 2005 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's so much integration in engineered products these days that it's really useful (as a clanky) to be able to at least converse on the same terms as a sparky. My degree was pure mechanical, but I had 2 compulsory E&E modules, as well as the obligatory computing stuff, and then did a load of control systems, which was more electrical than mechanical. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's bloody useful. I'd feel embarassed at work if I had to approach our sparky just to ask how to calculate the power coming from my genset.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?