Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering Basics

In summary, Mechanical engineering requires a good understanding of electrical engineering. It is helpful to have taken at least 3 semesters of electrical engineering.
Benny
Hi, I'm wondering if mechanical engineering requires a fairly extensive knowledge of the basics of electrical engineering eg. circuit theory and the practical side of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ME program will have a good 3 or so classes minimum in EE. In today's market you have to know the basics because everything is intermeshing. It's not like you'll sit down and anylize circuit diagrams or anything like that, but there is a lot of theory and knowledge that is just plain day to day language and understanding. For example, in my area, R&D, I work closely with EE's in our data syatems and our engine control systems. I have to know how sensors are implemented and work, PLC's, and basic industrial control schemes for heaters, coolers and such. It is mandatory to know how these things operate for the inevitable breakdowns and troubleshooting of systems. It's not super high end digital stuff, but it's all in an area that is not considered pure ME. Without a basic understanding of electrical engineering, you can be at a real disadvantage depending on where you end up career wise.

Don't be afraid of braanching out and learning something new.

Thanks for the responses.

Im required to take 3 simesters of EE work. Phyiscs 2, and two courses called "electonics and instrumentation", but I would recommend more if possible.

There's so much integration in engineered products these days that it's really useful (as a clanky) to be able to at least converse on the same terms as a sparky. My degree was pure mechanical, but I had 2 compulsory E&E modules, as well as the obligatory computing stuff, and then did a load of control systems, which was more electrical than mechanical. It's not absolutely necessary, but it's bloody useful. I'd feel embarassed at work if I had to approach our sparky just to ask how to calculate the power coming from my genset.

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and machines, while electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. What are some common areas of overlap between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Some common areas of overlap between mechanical and electrical engineering include robotics, mechatronics, and control systems. Both disciplines may also be involved in the design of products such as automobiles, appliances, and HVAC systems.

3. What are some basic principles in mechanical engineering?

Some basic principles in mechanical engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and kinematics. These principles are used to analyze and design mechanical systems and structures.

4. What are some basic principles in electrical engineering?

Some basic principles in electrical engineering include circuit analysis, electromagnetism, signal processing, and power systems. These principles are used to design, analyze, and troubleshoot electrical and electronic systems.

5. What are some common career paths for mechanical and electrical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. Electrical engineers can work in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and electronics. Both disciplines also have opportunities in research and development, consulting, and academia.