1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics: Manual Drill Eccentricity

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In order to manually drill a hole, as shown below, it is important to keep the drill perpendicular to the surface. The drill is spun by a 30-lbf force applied downward at the handle at B, while pressure on the bit at A is obtained by applying a 10-lbf force along the x-axis at C. The handle currently lies along the x-z plane and the wall does not supply a reaction moment at A.

a) Find the other axial components of the force applied at C that are required to keep the bit at A oriented solely along the x-axis.
    b) Find the equivalent force and moment couple at A that results from the applied forces at B and C.
    2m34369.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\vec{M}=\vec{r}\times\vec{F}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach was to determine the moments of B and C about point A first.

[itex]\vec{M}^{F_{B}}_{A}=\left\langle 8,0,-6 \right\rangle \times \left\langle 0,-30,0 \right\rangle [/itex]
    [itex]=\left\langle -180,0,-240 \right\rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}^{F_{C}}_{A}=\left\langle 16,0,0 \right\rangle \times \left\langle -10,C_{y}, C_{z} \right\rangle [/itex]
    [itex]=\left\langle 0, -16C_{z}, 16C_{y} \right\rangle [/itex]

I then assumed that only the x-component of the moments about A should be non-zero, and said that Cz=0 and 16Cy=240, yielding Cy=15 lb.

However, when I calculate the resultant force and the moment couple at A, the moment couple equals zero:

[itex]F_{R}=(-10)\hat{i} + (-30+15)\hat{j} + 0\hat{k}[/itex]
    [itex]\theta=tan^{-1}(\frac{15}{10})=56.3^{\circ}[/itex]

[itex]M_{A}=(10)(0)+(-15 lb)(16 in)+(30 lb)(8 in)[/itex]
    [itex]=0[/itex]

Clearly, the moment couple at point A is not zero, so my approach is wrong...
    What should I change?

Thanks in advance,
    Johan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    Why can't the moment couple at point A be zero? If it were not zero wouldn't the drill not stay on axis? Sorry if this is an obvious question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook