1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanics: Moments of force in a rigid beam

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the rigid beam below, which is loaded by five forces shown. The forces at A and B act to keep the total force on the bar equal to zero and the sum of the moments about point A equal to zero.
    a) Find the forces at A and B that satisfy the conditions stated above.
    b) Find the sum of the moments about point B.
    2ylp4k1.png
    2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\vec{M} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part A, I figured that I can calculate the magnitude of FB by adding all of the moments about point A and separating |Fb|

Force C: creates 0 moment about point A since its direction is towards A (theta=180)

Force D:

[itex]\vec{r} = \left\langle 1000,-200 \right\rangle[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{F} = \langle 25 cos(20^\circ), 25 sin(20^\circ) \rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}=\left| \begin{array}{ccc}\hat{i}&\hat{j}\\1000&-200 \\ 25 cos(20^\circ)&25 sin(20^\circ) \end{array} \right| \approx 3852.04 \hat{k}[/itex]

Force B:

[itex]\vec{r} = \left\langle 1000,-650 \right\rangle[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{F} = \langle |\vec{F_{B}}|, 0 \rangle [/itex]

[itex]\vec{M}=\left| \begin{array}{ccc}\hat{i}&\hat{j}\\1000&-650 \\ |\vec{F_{B}}|&0\end{array} \right| = 650 |\vec{F_{B}}| \hat{k}[/itex]

[itex]\sum \vec{M}=O\hat{k}+3852.04...\hat{k}+650|\vec{F_{B}}|\hat{k}=0[/itex]

[itex]|\vec{F_{B}}| \approx -5.92[/itex]

Before I go any further I just want to make sure that I am approaching this correctly... Does it make sense that FB points in the negative x-direction?

Thanks,
    Johan

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    I think so, if the drawing is roughly to scale the 25kN force tends to rotate the beam counter clockwise therefore for the beam not to move the force at B must tend to rotate the beam clockwise and can only do so if the force at B acts to the left.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook