Mechanics Projectile / Coriolis Effect

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Coriolis force in mechanics and the various formulas and definitions used. The last formula, which is used to approximate time of flight, is correct but difficult to remember for exams. The conversation also includes a request for a proof of the formula from 2m u x ω.
Ted123

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/82/mechanics.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Where to start?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ted123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Start with the definition of Coriolis force …

2m u x Ω :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Ted123! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Start with the definition of Coriolis force …

2m u x Ω :smile:

Can you elaborate on this as I'm not at all sure where the method's taking me - I haven't seen that definition before!

Ted123 said:
Can you elaborate on this as I'm not at all sure where the method's taking me - I haven't seen that definition before!

What definition of Coriolis force have you been using?

(and btw, what approximate formula will you be using for the time of flight?)

tiny-tim said:
What definition of Coriolis force have you been using?

(and btw, what approximate formula will you be using for the time of flight?)

Actually, I tell a lie: I've seen it like

[itex]{\bf {text F}_{coriolis} = -2m(\omega \times {\bf u} )[/itex]

I've also seen the formula:

[itex]D' {\bf x} = D {\bf x} + \omega \times {\bf x}[/itex]

[itex]mD^2{\bf x} = m{\bf g}[/itex]

and [itex]\displaystyle{\bf x}(t) = {\bf x}(0) + {\bf u}t + \frac{1}{2} {\bf g}t^2 + {\bf u} \times \omega t^2 + \frac{1}{3}{\bf g} \times \omega t^3[/itex]

Hi Ted123! :smile:

Well, the last formula looks correct, but you'll never remember it for the exam! :rolleyes:

so can you prove it (from 2m u x ω)? :wink:

1. What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon that occurs due to the rotation of the Earth. It causes objects, such as projectiles, to appear to curve to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis effect affect projectiles?

The Coriolis effect affects projectiles by causing them to deviate from their intended path. This is due to the fact that the Earth's rotation creates a difference in velocities at different latitudes, which leads to a change in the direction of the projectile's motion.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Coriolis effect?

The magnitude of the Coriolis effect is affected by the speed of the projectile, the latitude at which it is launched, and the duration of its flight. A faster projectile, higher latitude, and longer flight time will result in a larger Coriolis effect.

4. How does the Coriolis effect impact long-range projectiles?

The Coriolis effect can have a significant impact on long-range projectiles, such as missiles or artillery shells. It can cause them to deviate several kilometers from their intended target, making it crucial for their trajectory to be calculated with this effect in mind.

5. Can the Coriolis effect be observed in other systems besides projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis effect can be observed in other systems besides projectiles. It plays a role in the formation of hurricanes and other large-scale weather patterns. It also affects ocean currents and the rotation of the Earth's atmosphere.