Mechanics question - circular motion

In summary, the yo-yo has kinetic energy and potential energy. The potential energy is greater at the top of the arc because the mass has more potential energy due to the higher speed.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

A yo-yo of mass m , on a string of length [itex]\ell[/itex] is held horizontally and then released, as shown in the diagram. Assume that there is no friction and that the yo-yo swings freely in a vertical plane. Give your answers in terms of m, [itex]\ell[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex], and g.

Diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6735/physprob2.png

The part I'm stuck on: What is the angular speed [itex]\omega = \dot{\theta}[/itex] as a function of [itex]\theta[/itex]?

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy: [tex](1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)m\omega^2\ell^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I solved it was using conservation of energy. If we take the bottom of the arc to be zero, the yo-yo was dropped from a height [itex]\ell[/itex]. Then at some angle [itex]\theta[/itex], the yo-yo would be at a height of [itex]\ell\cos\theta[/itex] (and have a corresponding potential energy of [itex]mg\ell\cos\theta[/itex]). So the equation becomes

[tex](1/2)m\omega^2\ell^2 + mg\ell\cos\theta = mg\ell[/tex]

After some algebra, the answer comes out to be

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{ 2g(1-\cos\theta) /\ell}[/tex].

(for some reason, the LaTeX coding is being silly with the square root; however, the entire expression is supposed to be under the square root)

My professor does it differently. In his solution, he uses conservation of energy with the equation

[tex](1/2)m\omega^2\ell^2 = mg\ell\cos\theta[/tex]

and solves from there to get the same thing I got except with just [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] where I have [itex]1-\cos\theta[/itex]. What is wrong with my reasoning here?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tjackson3 said:
Diagram:

[PLAIN]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6735/physprob2.png

The way I solved it was using conservation of energy. If we take the bottom of the arc to be zero, the yo-yo was dropped from a height [itex]\ell[/itex]. Then at some angle [itex]\theta[/itex], the yo-yo would be at a height of [itex]\ell\cos\theta[/itex] (and have a corresponding potential energy of [itex]mg\ell\cos\theta[/itex]). So the equation becomes

[tex](1/2)m\omega^2\ell^2 + mg\ell\cos\theta = mg\ell[/tex]

Looking at your diagram, when [itex]\theta=0[/itex], the mass will be at the bottom of the arc and should have zero potential energy (or at least less than it had at the top of the arc)...what does your formula for the potential energy give at [itex]\theta=0[/itex]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you'd get an angular velocity of zero, which now that you mention it, does not make sense. However, where does the mistake in my reasoning come in?

Your expression for the potential energy is clearly incorrect...how did you derive it?

I just derived it from the expression for gravitational potential energy, using [itex]\ell\cos\theta[/itex] as the height.

[itex]\ell\cos\theta[/itex] is the distance below the pivot...not the height:wink:

Ohhh haha, thank you! :)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The object continuously changes its direction, but its speed remains constant.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes as it moves along the circular path.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the circular motion of the object.

4. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. It is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, and without it, the object would fly off in a straight line.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases. They are both necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.