Medical Physics - What Bio do I need?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding information on pursuing a masters/phd in medical physics as a physics major without a medical physics program. There is a debate on the required biology knowledge needed for graduate programs and the opinions vary. The options include taking a year of chemistry and a year of bio, or taking a year of chemistry, one Human Anatomy & Physiology class, and one quarter of biology. The importance of biology and chemistry in understanding radiation biology and the different subfields within medical physics are also mentioned. It is suggested to contact specific programs for their requirements and to consider the desired subspecialty in choosing courses. Overall, it is recommended to take a general biology course before attempting more advanced levels of learning in anatomy and physiology.
Kites
Hello. I am having a hard time finding information on this and really need some help.

I am a physics major at my school without a medical physics program. I am planning on going to graduate school and pursuing a masters/phd in medical physics. There are a few problems.

1) Most graduate schools require biology knowledge from undergraduate programs.

This is fine, the problem is how much? The sites bounce around on how much is preferred, some prefer the 1 year series in bio with the 1 year series in chemistry and that's all.

Then there are schools such as University of Penn. who only ask for 1 year of chemistry and preferably 1 Human Anatomy and Physiology Course.

My choices are pretty clear cut.

I can do the 1 year of chemistry along with my physics degree, 1 year of bio.

Or.

I can do the 1 year of chemistry along with 1 Human Anatomy & Physiology class and 1 quarter of Biology.

Which would be better? If it matters or not my GPA is about a 3.64 in my classes. Time is short and it's very difficult to work in classes so I would greatly appreciate any feedback given. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
On a related note, how helpful or necessary is it to have taken an undergraduate anatomy course for medical physics? Or is it possible to just learn all you need to in grad school?

Here, "Medical Physics" is taken to mean the fields of both biomedical imaging and radiation dosimetry. I think your second option is more in line with preparation for this.

In general it's best to contact the specific programs you're interested into see what their requirements are, or if the program favours students with particular courses. As you've pointed out - the programs vary in their requirements, so in this respect it comes down to which programs you're going to aim for and/or feel you have the best shot with.

In my opinion as a medical physics resident, I would argue that a full year of biology and chemistry will help the most as they are necessary to understand the radiation biology that's covered in medical physics. A course in anatomy and physiology will certainly help as well, but my personal experience is that A&P can generally be picked up at the graduate level as needed. In fact, many graduate programs offer an A&P course geared towards medical physicists, so I wouldn't break my back to take that over fundamental biology and chemistry at the undergraduate level.

With respect to how much, in general, I think first year courses are sufficient. An additional course in molecular biology would help, but not at the expense of additional physics courses. Medical physicists are first and foremost physicists.

Last edited:
Medical Physics incorporates a lot of different subfields. I work as a Senior Medical Physicist in Radiation Oncology in a not for profit community hospital. Ok, so what does that mean? I work with patients who are receiving radiation to treat their cancer. Since one of my responsibilities is to review the patients treatment plan, it is very important for me to know anatomy. Not just where things are but how to identify structures on CT and MRI. I do not do any research.

A Diagnostic Physicist may not need as much anatomy or biology since they generally look at image quality. They do need a knowledge of it if they become a Radiation Safety Officer within a hospital setting since they will be calculating dose to structures during certain medical procedures.

A Health Physicist and Radiobiologic Physicist will need more chemistry and biology since they deal with more of the molecular effects of radiation.

To sum it all up, each program may have a different subfield focus making the requirements different. Think about which subspecialty you may be interested in and look for the requirements for those programs.

MedPhysGuru

As someone who teaches anatomy, has taught physiology, and may eventually start up an anatomy and physiology course, you should take a general biology course before you take anatomy and physiology. Many schools, such as ours, offer those as separate courses instead of one combined course. If you have NO biology background, I'd recommend an undergrad A&P course before trying to tackle graduate level learning of the subject. It's a whole different type of learning from physics, so taking a slightly watered-down undergrad course (it still isn't an easy course) will brace you better for the more advanced levels of learning the subject if you need it.

The downside to a full general biology course for your goals is that a lot of general biology focuses on plants, which you don't need at all for medical physics. The problem is, you can't skip that semester, because often that content is inter-twined with other important basics, like cell structure and cell division and genetics that you will need to understand for more advanced coursework.

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies the principles and methods of physics to healthcare and medicine. It involves the use of radiation, imaging techniques, and other technologies to diagnose and treat diseases.

2. What education or background do I need to become a medical physicist?

To become a medical physicist, you typically need a minimum of a master's degree in medical physics or a related field such as physics, engineering, or radiology. Some positions may also require a doctoral degree.

3. What skills are important for a career in medical physics?

Some essential skills for a career in medical physics include a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in computer programming and data analysis, and excellent communication skills.

4. What is the job outlook for medical physicists?

The job outlook for medical physicists is excellent, with a projected growth rate of 14% from 2019-2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to an aging population and advancements in medical technology, increasing the demand for healthcare services.

5. Are there any certifications or licenses required for medical physicists?

In the United States, most states require medical physicists to be certified by the American Board of Radiology (ABR) or the American Board of Medical Physics (ABMP). Additionally, some positions may require specific state licenses or registrations.