Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meet an alien from another planet

1. Mar 19, 2007 #1
    Suppose you are going to meet an alien from another planet. How can you make sure that the alien is not build of antimatter without touching it?

My teacher told me that I have to compare the rate of the C-P violated processes. I didn't understand this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2007 #2
    Throw something at him ;)

4. Mar 19, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

if CP is a good symmetry between particles and anti-particles, then CP violation means that reaction rates between set of particles will be different from those rates generated by a set of anti-particles. so by observing the rate of CP violating processes generated by these aliens you can tell (in principle, not sure this is practical) whether they are made of anti-matter.

5. Mar 19, 2007 #4
    Your teacher was refering to a joke that Feynman had in his famous lectures. Go to the library and look up Feynman's lectures on Physics Volume one pages 52-10 to 52-11.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?