Melting Zirconium Samples in a High-Energy Spark Oven at University

  • Thread starter Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    oven
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
fluidistic
Gold Member
Messages
3,934
Reaction score
286
Today at my university I melted a zirconium sample that was into a "home made" oven that makes "sparks".
I don't remember the name of the type of oven.
The mechanism is to put a sample into the oven. Hmm I don't know how to explain the rest in English...
Basically you create a continuous (in time) spark and direct it toward the sample. It will melt. It took less than 5 seconds to melt a small sample (a few grams) of zirconium. Of course the light that the sample emits is so bright that you need to wear darkened glasses in order to look at what you're doing.
That was really beautiful!
If you know the name of such a oven, please let me know. Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

Thats what a quick google brings up but I can't seem to find any lab sized ones.

Edit: My google-fu was weak: http://www.mrf-furnaces.com/arcmelt.htm

Was it something like that?

Thank you very much. Yeah it was like the ones in your second link.
Amazing!