Men: How Would You React to Being Contacted Out of the Blue?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the woman would be flattered if contacted out of the blue by a man that she found interesting, but would be creeped out if the man knew too much about her. If the man is a widely known public figure, the woman would probably be more creeped out.

How would you feel about a woman e-mailing you with no prior contact?

• She must be crazy

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I would be flattered

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Depends on what she looks like

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Depends on her personality

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters
RetardedBastard said:
Get in line. I'd be the first one to receive a swift banning after I said she was being delusional :)
Hey, I'm not delusional, we'll, perhaps just a bit. :wink:

No, I'm just bored because I'm injured, and I've had to put my life on hold just when I started a move, my best friend is mad at me and won't talk, so this gives me something to do.

Far Star said:
Evo- that probably did sound a little, uh, forward. He lived on the next block over. I didn't want to make a habit of strolling by on my walks if there was a Mrs. in front of his name. It turns out he was trying to figure out a way to meet me as well. Knowing something about him also gave me a little more confidence. Funny how that works.
That's great! Someone has to make a move.

It's good that you started this thread (despite what you might be thinking). I imagine there are other people faced with the same dilemma that are too shy to say anything.
Yeah, we've had so many threads lately on how guys are too shy to approach women I thought I'd do one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Safe from what?
From being stalked by me. I'm going to go crazy before I can move around again, I have too much to do. :mad: Unfortunately I can only stalk by e-mail right now.

Evo said:
Unfortunately I can only stalk by e-mail right now.
Amateur. Math is Hard stalks me personally, or, when she's busy, has one of her enslaved minions do it.

Evo said:
Yeah, we've had so many threads lately on how guys are too shy to approach women I thought I'd do one.

If only there were more women who did the same.

Have you e-mailed him yet, Evo?

RetardedBastard said:
If only there were more women who did the same.
Wait a minute, you just got through telling me I was delusional, you can't back track now.

zoobyshoe said:
Amateur. Math is Hard stalks me personally, or, when she's busy, has one of her enslaved minions do it.
I'm taking Math Is Hard's correspondence course on stalking the wild zooby. Have all of our wild party videos been erased? Those were so good.

RetardedBastard said:
Have you e-mailed him yet, Evo?
Good heavens no.

To all of you that have e-mailed and pm'd me with helpful hints, thanks. I'm often misunderstood, I'm rarely serious about anything. I think the scene from The Bishop's Wife between Loretta Young and Cary Grant sums me up. (I'm Cary Grant)

Young: I never know what to think of you Dudley. I never know whether you're joking or serious.

Grant: I'm at my most serious when I'm joking.

Evo said:
No, I'm just bored because I'm injured, and I've had to put my life on hold just when I started a move, my best friend is mad at me and won't talk, so this gives me something to do.

well, health first---

JasonRox said:
I don't see what the big deal of sending someone an e-mail saying you admire them.

I've done it to people of both sexes! Admiration for another person is completely normal and a positive thing (if it's for positive reasons).
Thanks Jason, that's how I feel about it. I'm usually on the receiving end of such e-mails, and as long as they aren't of a sexual nature, I find some of them quite interesting.

Far Star said:
My fingers are walking over to a cup of hot cocoa instead.

I usually prefer drinking hot cocoa over sticking my fingers in it, but to each his or her own I suppose. :rolleyes:

evo--maybe it would be best to wait until you got out of that body cast (and start doing those back flips again)---things are not too much fun from a wheel chair

(or, at least until your arm heals)

(its hard to be yourself while in pain and/or on meds from the pain--)

Last edited:
Evo said:
Wait a minute, you just got through telling me I was delusional, you can't back track now.

LOL. I never would have stated "If only there were more women who did the same" had I been fully aware of the fact that you had already entered into a state of delusion! :)

I'm taking Math Is Hard's correspondence course on stalking the wild zooby. Have all of our wild party videos been erased? Those were so good.

You're stalking zooby now? Did you give up on the other "chemical scum" *ALREADY*? :)

RetardedBastard said:
You're stalking zooby now?
You missed my offer to stalk anyone willing to be my victim? I've never stalked anyone before. I guess I should practice. I don't think I'm focused enough to stalk properly. I'd end up getting distracted.

Did you give up on the other "chemical scum" *ALREADY*? :)
Nope, he's still top scum in my book. :smile:

Facebook is excellent for stalking. If you're on the same network as the stalkee, that is. There's women there posting private information who wouldn't give me the time of day. It's almost boring how easy it is.

Evo said:
You missed my offer to stalk anyone willing to be my victim?
Nope, he's still top scum in my book. :smile:

Nope, I don't just let anyone stalk me... they would have to like me first.

The nice thing about stalking Zooby is that he is so accommodating. I can usually just call him and ask him where he will be, and let him know what time I plan on stalking him, and he's kind enough to show up. Last time he even let me sit down and draw pictures with him.

RetardedBastard said:
Nope, I don't just let anyone stalk me... they would have to like me first.
A picky stalkee.

Math Is Hard said:
The nice thing about stalking Zooby is that he is so accommodating. I can usually just call him and ask him where he will be, and let him know what time I plan on stalking him, and he's kind enough to show up. Last time he even let me sit down and draw pictures with him.
The distance makes stalking difficult. Maybe a little voice when he opens his e-mail that says "you've been stalked" similar to "you've got mail". ?

Which raises another question. Is it really stalking if you don't have to work for it? The whole point was that you'd be intruding on someone's privacy. What if he/she doesn't have any privacy?

Thrice said:
Which raises another question. Is it really stalking if you don't have to work for it? The whole point was that you'd be intruding on someone's privacy. What if he/she doesn't have any privacy?
I would never intrude on anyone's privacy. I would stalk by invitation only.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I would never intrude on anyone's privay. I would stalk by invitation only.

Yeah, so is that violating the letter or the spirit of stalking? I'm leaning towards the former because I don't think it matters as much how you get the information.

Let's face it, I'm too laid back to be a successful stalker. :frown: I guess I will just abandon the whole idea of contacting him.

I'll just buy some potted plants instead. My cat loves destroying potted plants. That ought to keep me busy for awhile.

Last edited:
Moonbear- you've never stuck your fingers in hot cocoa? Makes a great page turner and lint brush.

Far Star said:
Moonbear- you've never stuck your fingers in hot cocoa? Makes a great page turner and lint brush.

Hmm...do you lick the cocoa off your fingers before or after you've picked up the lint? Then again, probably no worse than those who insisted I should bathe my cat with my tongue when I first got her. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Then again, probably no worse than those who insisted I should bathe my cat with my tongue when I first got her. :rolleyes:

That's no worse than...never mind. I'll stick with Evo and buy a plant. Safety in greenery.

Far Star said:
That's no worse than...never mind. I'll stick with Evo and buy a plant. Safety in greenery.

I love plants!

It's like my new addiction. I have 4 plants in my room. I have a palm tree that goes over my bed, which is like sleeping under a tree and reading under a tree every night!

JasonRox said:
I love plants!

It's like my new addiction. I have 4 plants in my room. I have a palm tree that goes over my bed, which is like sleeping under a tree and reading under a tree every night!
The palm tree sounds very nice. Until my cat goes, no living plant will survive in my house. And I love plants. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:

This is why I can't keep my stalkers interested: I'm way too easy.

Evo said:
The palm tree sounds very nice. Until my cat goes, no living plant will survive in my house. And I love plants. :frown:

Ahhh! Sounds like the cat at my home.

Evo said:
Let's face it, I'm too laid back to be a successful stalker. :frown: I guess I will just abandon the whole idea of contacting him.

NOOOOO :cry:

Evo said:

I had this general outline in my head where you and David would hit it off, and David would come to Kansas with you. And while he was here, he would give a lecture at say, Exploration Place or the Cosmosphere and I'd get a chance to meet him in person, maybe even have a sip of tea. Alas, 'tis would have been pretty memorable.

Any woman who emails me out of the blue has got to be crazy. She will soon find out that there is only one woma, other than mom, who can put up with me and she has been doing it for 20+ years.

Evo said:

again: NOOOOO :cry:

Thrice said:
Facebook is excellent for stalking. If you're on the same network as the stalkee, that is. There's women there posting private information who wouldn't give me the time of day. It's almost boring how easy it is.
Scariest comment on this thread -- in a "umm... yeah"... slowly backs away from poster... way

:-p

RetardedBastard said:
I had this general outline in my head where you and David would hit it off, and David would come to Kansas with you. And while he was here, he would give a lecture at say, Exploration Place or the Cosmosphere and I'd get a chance to meet him in person, maybe even have a sip of tea. Alas, 'tis would have been pretty memorable.

Math Jeans said:
again: NOOOOO :cry:
On second thought, I am wounded and need something to do...

Okay, what should I say? I need suggestions. If it was me I'd just write "I think you're fascinating and cute". Oh wait, it is me.

Last edited: