Mercury gas in fluorescent lights

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of how a fluorescent light generates UV light through the high voltage potential between its ends. The question is raised about why the positively charged mercury ions do not rush to the negative pole, but it is explained that the mercury atoms are only excited, not ionized. The person retract their question and thanks the other person for clarifying.
jerich1000
I'm a mechanical (mecha-nickel) engineer and not an electrical engineer, so please don't kill me for asking:

In a fluorescent light the high voltage potential between each end of the light strips the electrons from the mercury gas which ultimamately generates UV light, etc., etc.

My question is this: Why don't the remaining positively charged mercury ions rush to the negative pole at the one end of the flourescent light?

Perhaps they do--or try to--but becuase it's alternating current the poor mercury ions can't decide which way to go. Please don't tell me that that's the answer because that's such a lame explanation.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure mercury is being ionized, and not just excited?

1. What is mercury gas and why is it used in fluorescent lights?

Mercury gas is a colorless, odorless, and highly toxic element that is used in fluorescent lights to produce the ultraviolet (UV) light needed to excite the phosphor coating inside the light bulb. This excitation causes the phosphor to emit visible light, creating the bright white light that we see in fluorescent lights.

2. How much mercury gas is typically found in a fluorescent light bulb?

The amount of mercury gas in a fluorescent light bulb can vary, but on average it is about 4 milligrams. This may seem like a small amount, but even this small amount can be harmful to the environment if the bulb is not disposed of properly.

3. Are there any health risks associated with mercury gas in fluorescent lights?

In general, the amount of mercury gas found in a single fluorescent light bulb is not enough to pose a significant health risk to humans. However, if the bulb breaks, the release of mercury vapor can be harmful if inhaled. It is important to handle and dispose of fluorescent light bulbs carefully to avoid any potential health risks.

4. How do I safely dispose of fluorescent light bulbs containing mercury gas?

It is important to not throw fluorescent light bulbs in the regular trash, as they can release mercury gas into the environment. Instead, take them to designated recycling centers or contact your local waste management agency for proper disposal methods. Some hardware and home improvement stores also offer recycling programs for fluorescent light bulbs.

5. Are there any alternatives to using mercury gas in fluorescent lights?

While mercury gas is currently the most efficient way to produce UV light for fluorescent lights, there are new technologies being developed that use different gases or even LEDs to provide the same lighting. However, at the moment, fluorescent lights are still the most cost-effective and widely used lighting option for large commercial and industrial spaces.