Mercury in Freefall: The Impact on Elevator Mechanics Explained

In summary, when the elevator is in freefall, the drop of mercury inside should form a nearly perfect sphere and slowly float upwards. This is because as the elevator falls, the mercury will fatten out into a spherical shape and "push off" from the floor. This also explains why the mercury should oscillate inside the elevator after touching the top. The kick that causes this effect comes from the situation before the elevator falls, similar to a spring that gets compressed by gravity when the elevator is resting. This kick is done before separation and does not come from gravity.
hav0c
There is a drop of mercury in an elevator (flat on the ground).
during freefall what will happen to the mercury.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should form a (nearly) perfect sphere, probably floating upwards very slowly.

mfb said:
It should form a (nearly) perfect sphere, probably floating upwards very slowly.

what causes it to float upwards
plus if it floats upwards then it should oscillate inside the elevator after touching the top.

I think the idea is that as the elevator starts to fall, the formerly-flat blob of mercury will fatten out to form a spherical shape. In the process of doing this it will effectively "push off" from the floor.

Initially, the drop is flattened a bit by gravity (or by the floor pushing it, if you like). If you "switch gravity off", the mercury gets a small kick from this force, until it loses contact with the floor. After some initial, damped oscillation, it reaches a stable spherical shape.

plus if it floats upwards then it should oscillate inside the elevator after touching the top.
I would not expect that it reaches the top before the elevator crashes, but this might require some simulation (or experiment ;)) to find out.

I don't understand what is mean by switching off gravity gives the mercury a kick.
If I simply drop a plate with water on it I don't think the water gets a kick...it just falls like the plate.

Emilyjoint said:
I don't understand what is mean by switching off gravity gives the mercury a kick.
If I simply drop a plate with water on it I don't think the water gets a kick...it just falls like the plate.

The assumption is that the mercury is not wetting the floor of the elevator. It is beading up. If you want to compare with a plate of water, you will need to grease the plate or otherwise arrange for it not to be wetted. That way the water will "bead up".

Now before you drop the plate, a water bead will be flattened somewhat into a pancake shape, right?

And after you drop the plate that bead will draw itself together into a sphere, right?

Where is the center of gravity of the pancake shape with respect to the plate?

Where is the center of gravity of the spherical shape with respect to the plate?

Does this imply that the water bead has moved away from the plate?

Does this imply that the water has acquired a velocity relative to the plate?

Where did that velocity come from?

So this explanation must be due to surface tension?
If I drop a plate with ball bearings on it the ball bearings don't get a kick, do they?
Where is the centre of mass of the plate with respect to the drop...

If I drop a plate with ball bearings on it the ball bearings don't get a kick, do they?
They will compress the floor (and in theory even themself) a bit, the corresponding restoring force would give them a small kick, too. But the effect would be smaller, and negligible if the floor is some hard material.

mfb said:
They will compress the floor (and in theory even themself) a bit, the corresponding restoring force would give them a small kick, too. But the effect would be smaller, and negligible if the floor is some hard material.

I'm guessing this kick is the point were the mercury separates? Also off on this no-gravity kick thing.

The kick is done before separation. It does not come from gravity, but the situation before the elevator falls is necessary to get it. Think of it like a spring which gets compressed by gravity, when the elevator is resting. In free fall, the compressing force is gone, and the spring extends.

mfb said:
The kick is done before separation. It does not come from gravity, but the situation before the elevator falls is necessary to get it. Think of it like a spring which gets compressed by gravity, when the elevator is resting. In free fall, the compressing force is gone, and the spring extends.

Easier to visualize than to describe for me, but I understand what you're saying.

mfb said:
The kick is done before separation...
now its all clear... http://kontaktniy.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Mercury in Freefall: The Impact on Elevator Mechanics Explained

1. What is "Mercury in Freefall" and why is it important in elevator mechanics?

"Mercury in Freefall" refers to the phenomenon where the liquid metal mercury is used in certain types of elevators to control the movement of the elevator car. This is important in elevator mechanics because it allows for smooth and precise movement of the elevator car between floors.

2. How does mercury control the movement of elevator cars?

In elevators that use mercury, the metal is contained in a sealed cylinder that is connected to a vacuum system. When the elevator car moves up or down, the mercury inside the cylinder also moves, creating a change in pressure that is used to control the speed and direction of the elevator car.

3. What are the benefits of using mercury in elevators?

Using mercury in elevators allows for more precise and smooth movement of the elevator car compared to traditional methods. It also requires less maintenance and has a longer lifespan, making it a cost-effective option for building owners.

4. Are there any safety concerns with using mercury in elevators?

While there are potential safety concerns with mercury, elevators that use it are designed to be very safe. The mercury is contained in a sealed cylinder and is not exposed to passengers. Additionally, modern elevators have safety features in place to prevent any accidents related to the use of mercury.

5. Are there any alternatives to using mercury in elevators?

Yes, there are alternatives to using mercury in elevators, such as using a hydraulic system or a motor with a variable frequency drive. However, these options may not provide the same level of precision and smoothness as mercury. Ultimately, the choice of elevator technology depends on the specific needs and preferences of the building owner.