Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mesonic effects in the nuclear structure

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1

ORF

Hello

The textbooks about nuclear physics I have read don't explain too much about the Yukawa's model. For example, the textbook Structure of the Nucleus -by Preston and Bhaduri- finish the Yukawa's model with open questions about the "mesonic effects" by virtual pions.

And my doubt: are the "mesonic effects" in the nucleus measurable? [directly or indirectly]

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
    PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    It depends on what you mean by "measurable". For example, there is a particular model of nuclear matter (the Serot-Walecka model) that involves the interaction of the nucleons with [itex]\sigma, \omega^\mu, \rho^\mu[/itex] fields which are mesons. What you can do is to make prediction with this model and then compare them with the data. Turns out that they might fit reasonably well, or at least they describe the qualitatively behavior.
    You cound take a look at the Serot-Walecka book "The Relativistic Nuclear Many-Body Problem", maybe you can find an answer to you question.

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3

ORF

Hello

Thank you for your answer, I had not never heard about this kind of nuclear models. I'm going to look for that book :)

Greetings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook