Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems?

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1

ORF

Hello

Is the principle of minimum action applicable to nonholonomic systems? Why?

If this question is already answered in this forum, just tell me, and I will delete this thread.

Thank you for your time :)

Greetings
    PS: My mother language is not English, so I'll be glad if you correct any mistake.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

ORF

Sorry, that was an old expression; the modern one is "principle of least action" (or stationary action).

Greetings.

4. Nov 1, 2014 #3

ORF

It is known as Hamilton's principle in classical mechanics :)

Greetings.

5. Nov 1, 2014 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

I googled the terms, and found

http://www.ingvet.kau.se/juerfuch/kurs/amek/prst/11_nhco.pdf

http://www2.cds.caltech.edu/~blochbk/mechanics_and_control/survey/2005-02-07_survey_fullrefs.pdf.
    "There are some fascinating differences between nonholonomic systems and classical Hamiltonian or Lagrangian systems. Among other things: Nonholonomic systems are nonvariational - they arise from the Lagrange-d'Alembert principle and not from Hamilton's principle; while energy is preserved for nonholonomic systems, momentum is not always preserved for systems with symmetry (i.e., there is nontrivial dynamics associated with the nonholonomic generalization of Noether's theorem); nonholonomic systems are almost Poisson but not Poisson (i.e., there is a bracket which together with the energy on the phase space defines the motion, but the bracket generally does not satisfy the Jacobi identity); and finally, unlike the Hamiltonian setting, volume may not be preserved in the phase space, leading to interesting asymptotic stability in some cases, despite energy conservation."

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5

ORF

Hello

Thank you so much for the links. I didn't know that this issue was so complex :)

Greetings.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook