Metacentric height : Mechanical Engineering thesis topic

In summary, the conversation discusses a thesis topic on determining the metacentric height of a floating object and the difficulty in finding relevant sources for research. The student is seeking suggestions for books or journals and has found some articles on Google but needs a reliable source for conducting the experiment. They also mention confusion in understanding a previous experiment and ask for clarification.
PrincessIceFall

Homework Statement

So I am currently in my final year working on my thesis. Below is the details of my thesis topic:
Metacentric height (Computational)

It is a simple matter to determine whether a body will float in a liquid, it is not so easy to determine the orientation at which the body will float or the stability of the body in that position. The student undertaking this project will develop a computer program which will determine the metacentric height of a body (a measure of stability of a floating object) made up of a series of basic shapes. Results from the program will be tested against experimental results obtained by testing sample shapes in a water tank.

Homework Equations

So here is the thing. When I try to look up for journals on metacentric height, I don't find anything that is closely related to my topic or is of much help. Any of you know of any journals, books or articles that would be helpful for me? If you could suggest me some books/journals it would be very helpful !

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found these two articles on google that describes a metacentric height lab experiment. However I could not find the source and need a relevant source to actually carry out the experiment. Also the experiment described is a little confusing and I did not completely understand it. If anyone is familiar with a metacentric height experiment then please explain it to me
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
At PF, it is against the rules to post the same thread in multiple forums.

Have you searched on google for "metacenter demonstration"? The wolfram alpha demo looks interesting-

If you have accidently initiated multiple threads on one topic, you should message a mentor and ask for the threads to be merged into one. Take care not to start more than one thread per topic in future.

What is metacentric height and why is it important?

Metacentric height is a measurement of the stability of a floating body, such as a ship or a platform. It is the distance between the center of gravity and the metacenter, which is the point where the vertical line through the center of buoyancy intersects with the centerline of the body. It is important because it determines the ability of a floating body to resist overturning forces, such as waves or wind.

How is metacentric height calculated?

Metacentric height is calculated by using the formula: GM = I/V. GM stands for the metacentric height, I stands for the moment of inertia of the floating body, and V stands for the volume of water displaced by the body. The moment of inertia can be calculated using the dimensions and weight of the body, while the volume of water displaced can be determined by measuring the body's dimensions and using Archimedes' principle.

What factors can affect metacentric height?

The factors that can affect metacentric height include the shape and size of the floating body, the weight distribution of the body, and the density and viscosity of the water. Changes in any of these factors can alter the location of the center of gravity and the center of buoyancy, thus affecting the metacentric height.

How does metacentric height impact a floating body's stability?

A higher metacentric height means that the center of gravity is further away from the metacenter, making the body more stable and less prone to overturning. On the other hand, a lower metacentric height means that the center of gravity is closer to the metacenter, making the body less stable and more prone to overturning. Therefore, a proper metacentric height is crucial for the safety and stability of a floating body.

What are some practical applications of studying metacentric height?

Studying metacentric height is important for various engineering applications, such as designing and building ships, offshore structures, and floating platforms. It is also crucial for understanding the stability of vessels during rough seas or other adverse conditions. Additionally, knowledge of metacentric height is essential for naval architects, marine engineers, and other professionals in the maritime industry.