1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Meteor Entering Orbit of a Sun (cons. energy & momentum) [very hard algebra]

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Alright, so I've given this guy a few cracks, and I think I'm close to it, but apparently I'm not right, so here's how it goes. Simple in concept.

A meteor moves toward the solar system with speed v0 in a direction such that it would miss the sun by a distance d if it were not attracted by the sun's gravitational force. Denote the mass of the sun by M. Find the distance b of the meteor from the sun at the point of closest approach in terms of v0, d, and M (and G, the gravitational constant).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    They effectively give me a few formulas in the helper questions provided:

The momentum and energy are conserved
    Initial energy = 1/2mv0^2
    Final energy = 1/2mV^2 - GMm/b

Initial Momentum = mv0d
    Final Momentum = mVb

Where V=the final velocity of the object at point b

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like the error here is most likely in my algebra, as I'm having a ton of troble easily isolating b. But here are the ways I've tried so far:

I always start with the equations:

1/2mv0^2 = 1/2mV^2 - GMm/b

and

mv0d = mVb.

I then cancel out all the m's and multiply out the 2 in the top one to get:

v0^2 = V^2 - 2GM/b

and

v0d = Vb

From this point, I'll either solve for b in the top or solve for V in the bottom. If I solve for b in the top, I get:

V^2 - v0^2 = 2GM/b, b = 2GM/(V^2 - v0^2)

Then I would solve for V in the bottom one:

V = v0d/b

Subbing that in gets

b = 2GM/((v0d/b)^2 - v0^2)

And this is where I think I go wrong...trying to get b out of this. I've tried rearranging the equation to bring all the b's to one side, I've tried resubstituting stuff...most recently I tried quad formula:

I factored out the v0's on the bottom:

2GM/((v0^2)(d^2/b^2-1)) = b

b(d^2/b^2 - 1) = 2GM/v0^2

d^2/b - b = 2GM/v0^2

d^2 - b^2 = 2GMb/v0^2

b^2 + 2GMb/(v0^2) - d^2 = 0

then, using 1 as (a), 2GM/v0^2 as (b) and -d^2 as (c), I did quad form and got:

(-2GM/(v0^2)+sqrt((2GM/v0^2)^2-4d^2))/2

or

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But that was not correct

I'm officially stumped by this point...I've taken 4 cracks at it, to no avail. Am I setting up the formulas incorrectly, or am I just screwing up on the algebra over and over?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are really close.

What is "-4ac", when c is -d2? (And a=1 of course)

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    haha...wow. I see it...it just should be + 4d^2. Just put that in and it worked. Thanks a ton...Almost sure I wouldn't have picked that out without doing the whole thing over again.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?