Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of characteristics for linear PDE's (variable coefficients)

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    I was going through an inroductory book on PDE's and at one point they proceed with little show of work. I have problem with equation [itex] -yu_x + xu_y = u [/itex].
    Characteristics for this equation are [itex] x_t = -y, y_t = x, u_t = u [/itex].

So far it is clear, but now books states that solution of first characteristic is [itex] x(t,s) = f_1(s)sin(t) + f_2(s)cos(t) [/itex], which is perplexing to me, I would just integrate righthand side treating x or y as constants (we are integrating with respect to t). Any suggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Defconist! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Nooo … x and y depend on t, so if you vary t, then you must vary x and y … they're not constants!

Hint: xt = -y, yt = x,

means that xtt = -x. :smile:

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    Oh, I get it. It is a system od ODE's because the in y the second equation is the same as y in the first one... It's easy to see why I missed that. It is a possibility I feared from the very beginning. Anyway, thanks for getting me from this predicament. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?