1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Method of images: electric dipole and infinite plane

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    Hello, a dubt arose while doing some exercise.
    If I have a charge q at a distance d from the above-mentioned plane, i can find the solution to the laplace equations (thanks to the uniqueness theorems) finding a collection of image charges that satisfies the boundary conditions.
    These conditions are V=0 (or V=constant?) on the plane and V=0 at infinity.
    I find that the image charge is -q at distance d on the other side.

If I have a dipole the solution is a reversed, "specular" dipole on the other side at the same distance again (thanks to the superposition principle, right? I treat each single charge of the dipole like in the first example mentioned).

Now I found an exercise in which there was a conducting semispace and the dipole orthogonal to the its surface at distance d.

I saw in the solution that I don't apply the potential 0 at the surface but the parallel component of E must sum to zero. So the image dipole has the same orientation of the real one.

Why this? I know the "parallel component of E" condition has to be applyed when studying the electic field in the boundary of two dielectics (and a conductor is a dielectric with infinite permittivity) so it makes sense. But why the potential condition doesn't hold here?
    Is it in fact because this is a region of space conductor and not a surface?
    Why again?
    Can you explain please?

Thank you and sorry for the length.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2015 #2
    The condition of parallel E-field being zero, in both cases makes sense, because the conductor is a equipotential surface.
    Therefore the condition of setting V=0 inside the conducting surface / volume is just a convention.

I dont know why the solution claimed that. In fact it should not make a difference whether you use conducting surface or a semispace, because the influenced charge is just on the surface.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook