Method of images: electric dipole and infinite plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of image charges to solve Laplace equations in different scenarios. It is mentioned that in the case of a conducting semispace, the potential condition of V=0 is replaced by the condition of the parallel component of the electric field being zero. This is because the conducting surface is an equipotential surface and setting V=0 inside is just a convention. It is questioned why the solution mentions this difference between a conducting surface and a semispace, as it should not make a difference since the influenced charge is only on the surface.
RaamGeneral
Hello, a dubt arose while doing some exercise.
If I have a charge q at a distance d from the above-mentioned plane, i can find the solution to the laplace equations (thanks to the uniqueness theorems) finding a collection of image charges that satisfies the boundary conditions.
These conditions are V=0 (or V=constant?) on the plane and V=0 at infinity.
I find that the image charge is -q at distance d on the other side.

If I have a dipole the solution is a reversed, "specular" dipole on the other side at the same distance again (thanks to the superposition principle, right? I treat each single charge of the dipole like in the first example mentioned).

Now I found an exercise in which there was a conducting semispace and the dipole orthogonal to the its surface at distance d.

I saw in the solution that I don't apply the potential 0 at the surface but the parallel component of E must sum to zero. So the image dipole has the same orientation of the real one.

Why this? I know the "parallel component of E" condition has to be applyed when studying the electic field in the boundary of two dielectics (and a conductor is a dielectric with infinite permittivity) so it makes sense. But why the potential condition doesn't hold here?
Is it in fact because this is a region of space conductor and not a surface?
Why again?
Can you explain please?

Thank you and sorry for the length.

Physics news on Phys.org
The condition of parallel E-field being zero, in both cases makes sense, because the conductor is a equipotential surface.
Therefore the condition of setting V=0 inside the conducting surface / volume is just a convention.

I don't know why the solution claimed that. In fact it should not make a difference whether you use conducting surface or a semispace, because the influenced charge is just on the surface.

What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve electrostatic problems involving a point charge or a system of charges in the presence of a conductor. It involves creating an imaginary mirror charge to simulate the presence of the conductor and simplify the problem.

How does the method of images work for an electric dipole?

For an electric dipole, the method of images involves creating two imaginary mirror charges, one positive and one negative, at equal distances from the actual dipole. This creates a symmetric electric field that satisfies the boundary conditions at the surface of the conductor.

Can the method of images be used for an infinite plane?

Yes, the method of images can be used for an infinite plane since an infinite plane can be seen as a system of infinite point charges. The technique involves creating an imaginary charge at a specific distance from the plane to simulate the presence of the conductor.

What are the advantages of using the method of images?

The method of images is advantageous because it simplifies complex electrostatic problems involving conductors. It also allows for exact solutions to be obtained, as long as the boundary conditions are satisfied. It also provides insights into the behavior of electric fields and charges in the presence of conductors.

Are there any limitations to the method of images?

One limitation of the method of images is that it can only be used for conductors with simple geometric shapes, such as spheres, cylinders, and planes. It also assumes idealized conditions, such as perfect conductors and point charges, which may not always be applicable in real-world situations.