Metric that isn't translation-invariant?

• Thread starter Anonymous217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, a metric that isn't translation-invariant is a measurement tool that is affected by changes in position or orientation of an object. Translation-invariance is important in metrics because it allows for consistent and accurate measurements. An example of a non-translation-invariant metric is the Euclidean distance in three-dimensional space. Non-translation-invariance can introduce bias and inaccuracies in data analysis. However, there may be cases where using a non-translation-invariant metric can be beneficial, such as in image processing.
Anonymous217
I'm having trouble thinking of an example of one. I'm aware that all metrics induced by a norm are translation-invariant, but I can't think of any example of a metric that isn't induced by a norm. I guess I'm stuck focusing on one aspect and I can't think of a simple example.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about reals and [tex]d=|x^3-y^3|[/tex]?

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks so much!

1. What is a metric that isn't translation-invariant?

A metric that isn't translation-invariant is a measurement tool that changes when the position or orientation of an object is altered. This means that the metric is affected by the translation, rotation, or reflection of the object.

2. Why is translation-invariance important in metrics?

Translation-invariance is important in metrics because it allows for consistent and accurate measurements regardless of the position or orientation of an object. This is especially important in scientific research and data analysis.

3. Can you give an example of a metric that isn't translation-invariant?

One example of a metric that isn't translation-invariant is the Euclidean distance in three-dimensional space. This distance measure changes depending on the position and orientation of the objects being measured.

4. How does non-translation-invariance affect data analysis?

Non-translation-invariance can affect data analysis by introducing bias and inaccuracies in the measurements. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and hinder the understanding of relationships between variables.

5. Are there any benefits to using metrics that aren't translation-invariant?

While translation-invariance is generally desirable in metrics, there are some cases where a non-translation-invariant metric may be more useful. For example, in image processing, certain features may be better captured using a metric that takes into account the position and orientation of an object.