Micro SD card - preloaded or not?

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Micro sd
In summary, there are preloaded and not preloaded micro SD cards available for Raspberry Pi. The difference is that preloaded cards, like the one in the provided link, already have NOOBS, an operating system installer, installed. This allows for easier selection of which operating system to run. Further information on NOOBS can be found by searching "what is noobs installer."
fog37
TL;DR Summary
micro sd card for Raspberry Pi
Hello,

I have a raspberry pi with a camera and would like to take some pictures with. Online, there are preloaded and not preloaded cards...What is the difference? Preloaded in what sense?

For example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXR6EOA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Not sure about the NOOBs either...

Thank you for any advise!

Computer science news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Summary: micro sd card for Raspberry Pi

Hello,

I have a raspberry pi with a camera and would like to take some pictures with. Online, there are preloaded and not preloaded cards...What is the difference? Preloaded in what sense?
The SD card in the link below is already loaded with NOOBS, an operating system installer. With this software you can choose which operating system you want to run.

If you do a search such as "what is noobs installer" you can find a lot more information.
fog37 said:
For example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXR6EOA/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Not sure about the NOOBs either...

Thank you for any advise!

Likes berkeman and fog37

1. What is the difference between a preloaded micro SD card and a regular one?

A preloaded micro SD card already contains data, such as software, music, or videos, when you purchase it. A regular micro SD card is blank and does not have any data on it.

2. Can I add or remove data from a preloaded micro SD card?

Yes, you can add and remove data from a preloaded micro SD card just like a regular one. However, some preloaded micro SD cards may have certain files or data that are locked and cannot be deleted.

3. How do I know if a micro SD card is preloaded?

Most preloaded micro SD cards will have a label or packaging that indicates it is preloaded. You can also check the storage capacity of the micro SD card; if it is less than the advertised capacity, it is likely preloaded.

4. Is a preloaded micro SD card better than a regular one?

It depends on your needs. A preloaded micro SD card can save you time and effort in transferring data, but it may also have preloaded content that you may not want. A regular micro SD card allows for more customization and flexibility in terms of data storage.

5. Can I use a preloaded micro SD card on any device?

Yes, a preloaded micro SD card can be used on any device that supports micro SD cards. However, some preloaded content may only be compatible with certain devices or operating systems.