1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microeconomic theory part 2

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A firm produces a single output (q) using Labor (L), and Capital (K). Its technology is described by the cobb-douglas production function Q= 10K and L is in a square root.
    a. Does this technology exhibit increasing,decreasing, or constant returns to scale? Does it exhibit a diminishing marginal productivity of labor?
    b. What can you say about the shape of this firm's short-run marginal cost curve? Is it positively sloped, negatively sloped, flat or u-shaped? What can you say about the shape of the long-run averagce cost curve?

2. Relevant equations
    A relative equation is the Cobb-Douglas is relevant. Q= AK^B(beta) times L^a(alpha)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did since L is in a square root, I raised L(labor) to the 1/2. I then concluded 1/2 was alpha, and if alpha is less that 1 then its MPL was decreasing. But if alpha = 1 then its a constant, and if its greater than 1, than its increasing. But I cant figure how the graphs would look or if I calculated it right. If someone can help I would appreciate it, thanks.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?