Microscope magnification using Ray Optics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the formula ## m = \frac{ 25 cm}{f_e} \frac{L}{f_o} ## using ray matrices, where ## f_e ## and ## f_o ## represent the eyepiece and objective focal lengths, respectively. The conversation also mentions the use of ray vectors and the transformation matrix, which is simplified to ## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 25 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ - \frac{1}{f_e} & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{
sam400

Homework Statement

Basically, derive the formula ## m = \frac{ 25 cm}{f_e} \frac{L}{f_o} ## using ray matrices. This just has variable tube length and assumes eye to object distance is 25 cm.

Homework Equations

Ray matrices: ## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & d \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] ##
## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ - \frac{1}{f} & 1 \end{array} \right] ##
ray vector: ## \left[ \begin{array}{c} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right] ##

## M = \frac{ \theta '}{\theta} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, just set up the ray transform
## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 25 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ a & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & b \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ c & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{c} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right] ##

Here, ## a = - \frac{1}{f_e}, b = f_o + f_e + L, c = - \frac{1}{f_o} ##

## f_e ## is eyepiece focal length and ## f_o ## is objective one. Eitherway, I just simplified the matrix given above, but I can't seem to make it the same as the formula given. I had another matrix at first with some distance ## d ## but that just made it messier. I'm not sure if I need that. But for the ## \theta ' ## component, I get

## \theta ' = \frac{ L r} { f_e f_o} ##
the other term with ## \theta ## should just be 0 since the rays will not depend on the initial angle and all will be parallel. I know the initial problem says the object is 25 cm away, so does that mean r = 25 cm? But that would still leave the problem of dividing the ## \theta ## so not sure where to go.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping thread. I haven't quite figured it out yet and my TA is busy with finals.

1. How does a microscope magnify an object?

The magnification of a microscope is achieved through the use of lenses and mirrors that bend and focus light rays. These light rays pass through the object being viewed and are then magnified by the eyepiece, allowing for a larger and more detailed image to be seen.

2. What is the difference between total magnification and objective magnification?

Total magnification refers to the overall magnification achieved by the combination of the eyepiece and the objective lens. Objective magnification, on the other hand, refers to the magnification of the objective lens alone.

3. How does the focal length of a lens affect magnification?

The focal length of a lens, which is the distance between the lens and the point where light rays converge, affects magnification by determining the angle at which light rays enter the lens. A shorter focal length will result in a larger magnification, while a longer focal length will result in a smaller magnification.

4. Can you adjust the magnification of a microscope?

Yes, the magnification of a microscope can be adjusted by changing the objective lens or the eyepiece. Different combinations of lenses can result in different levels of magnification.

5. What is the maximum magnification that can be achieved with a microscope?

The maximum magnification that can be achieved with a microscope varies depending on the type and quality of the lenses used. In general, light microscopes can achieve magnifications of up to 1000x, while electron microscopes can achieve magnifications of over 1,000,000x.