1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Microscope magnification using Ray Optics

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Basically, derive the formula ## m = \frac{ 25 cm}{f_e} \frac{L}{f_o} ## using ray matrices. This just has variable tube length and assumes eye to object distance is 25 cm.

2. Relevant equations

Ray matrices: ## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & d \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] ##
    ## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ - \frac{1}{f} & 1 \end{array} \right] ##
    ray vector: ## \left[ \begin{array}{c} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right] ##

## M = \frac{ \theta '}{\theta} ##

3. The attempt at a solution

So, just set up the ray transform
    ## \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 25 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ a & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & b \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ c & 1 \end{array} \right] \left[ \begin{array}{c} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right] ##

Here, ## a = - \frac{1}{f_e}, b = f_o + f_e + L, c = - \frac{1}{f_o} ##

## f_e ## is eyepiece focal length and ## f_o ## is objective one. Eitherway, I just simplified the matrix given above, but I can't seem to make it the same as the formula given. I had another matrix at first with some distance ## d ## but that just made it messier. I'm not sure if I need that. But for the ## \theta ' ## component, I get

## \theta ' = \frac{ L r} { f_e f_o} ##
    the other term with ## \theta ## should just be 0 since the rays will not depend on the initial angle and all will be parallel. I know the initial problem says the object is 25 cm away, so does that mean r = 25 cm? But that would still leave the problem of dividing the ## \theta ## so not sure where to go.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2
    Bumping thread. I haven't quite figured it out yet and my TA is busy with finals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted